Hauling Lumber (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to use my truck(when I can actually drive it again) for picking up stuff from the lumberyard.
This would mean carrying sheets of 4'x8' plywood and other lumber of various lengths.

Do any of you have a good way for securing sheet goods or long/skinny pieces on the roof?
I'd like to see your solutions, so please include pictures!

I figure a flat roof-rack would be a must, but what else do you have for tie-downs and ropes?
I have some ideas of my own, but it would be nice to see what others are doing so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks!

Lex

They sell lumber racks for roofs.

Thin veneers and 1/4" sheet goods need support but 3/4" materials and hardwood should be fine on any regular ol roof rack

Source: I am a woodworker before a wheeler

I have cheap ladder rack bars from advanced auto. I used there 30% off coupon and got them for like 32$ for a set. I've used them for my construction business and also camping and mounting my Thule roof box up there.

I'm a carpenter and do this all the time, you'll need roof rack preferably not the stock one and 4 ratchet straps and just take your time and cinch the straps down tight.

Thanks, all!

@nukegoat what kind of stuff do you do? I saw that @scrowley has some pretty nice work he has done on his website.
I grew up working for my dad (since I was 6) in his home remodelling/restoration business. We lived in a neighborhood that was built in the 1910's-30's so there were very few houses we hadn't been in. Always had a work van to keep everything dry.

Now I have a 1.5 car garage full of my truck and all its underparts. When I get it up and moving again, my plan is to make a little shop in there and start making things again.

X2 for ratchet straps. Rope is dangerous and I always put any appreciable amount of lumber inside with the tailgate down. I also built a support bar that clamped to my ARB bumper to help with longer lumber, like 16's. For sheets in the back I found that a strap from the third row seat bracket around the back of the sheets down to the opposite side recovery point was easiest.

Had a 2x6 crack my windshield from inside. Pretty mild bump too.

I really can't imagine wanting to lug a 3/4" sheet up on the roof more than once. I just take a little trailer if it's more than a few 2x4s...

Thanks, all!

@nukegoat what kind of stuff do you do? I saw that @scrowley has some pretty nice work he has done on his website.
I grew up working for my dad (since I was 6) in his home remodelling/restoration business. We lived in a neighborhood that was built in the 1910's-30's so there were very few houses we hadn't been in. Always had a work van to keep everything dry.

Now I have a 1.5 car garage full of my truck and all its underparts. When I get it up and moving again, my plan is to make a little shop in there and start making things again.
Built a bathroom vanity, a few end tables, a kitchen table, a set of kitchen cabinets, a LOT of shop furniture, and recently finished a Roubo workbench. I'm just a hobbyist, but it's my first hobby. That said, I don't do a ton of it these days.

Be careful putting anything on interior.
I used my Avalon to carry everything known to man. I have used it to move push lawnmowers and haul firewood (interior full). The undoing came when I put a piece of conduit thru the passenger air vent like it was tissue paper. When I move bricks or anything heavy I fill the floors infront of seats first then the trunk last or it will nearly drag bottom. Its easily good for 1000#

I'd like to use my truck(when I can actually drive it again) for picking up stuff from the lumberyard.
This would mean carrying sheets of 4'x8' plywood and other lumber of various lengths.

Do any of you have a good way for securing sheet goods or long/skinny pieces on the roof?
I'd like to see your solutions, so please include pictures!

I figure a flat roof-rack would be a must, but what else do you have for tie-downs and ropes?
I have some ideas of my own, but it would be nice to see what others are doing so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks!

Lex
2012-06-26 10.48.32.jpg

@finderscuba That is awesome, thanks!
If I had a prize to give away, you'd win it for being the first to post pictures.
Your truck looks great too!
Thanks again,
Lex

What you can't tell from that photo is the fact that the rack is totally full of mostly 20' lumber all the way across the width. I wouldn't recommend this with a stock rack, my BajaRack has a capacity of 900lbs. It wasn't ideal with 20' boards, but it made it across town through heavy traffic.

I've also carried 20 x 60lb bags of concrete in the rear at once. I loaded them as far forward as possible. I have a 3" lift. When I started loading, I had to lift up to the hatch. By the time I got to the last bag, the hatch was easily 8" lower than when I started. I wouldn't recommend this if doing a long drive. I only drove a couple of kms.

That is a lot of lumber on the roof. The rack might be rated for 900lbs, but is the body structure?
Do your mounts line-up with any particular reinforcements?
Toyota had a non-US spec, gutter-mount roof rack that I have been looking at. I still haven't found a weight rating for it.

I'm not sure about the difference with a modified suspension, but for normal use, I believe 1200lbs of sacks of concrete is fine for these trucks.
What happened to your acceleration?
For fuel economy purposes, I wouldn't want to drive around with an extra 1200lbs unless I can figure how to rig a blower to my 3F-E.
I know it will last forever with proper maintenance, but it is still disappointing to have so little power in such a big vehicle.

No problem here for acceleration when hauling or towing. I have a turbodiesel.

That is a lot of lumber on the roof. The rack might be rated for 900lbs, but is the body structure?

There is at least one other thread discussing what is too much weight for the roof. I believe CruiserDan had some body damage from having to much weight on the roof. Could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom