Hatch Switch / Dome Light Won't Turn On (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been bugging me for a while that I don't get light when I open the hatch. The rear dome light works manually when I turn it on but no luck when it's in the "door" position. I've done my research in the forums and haven't had much luck (a ton of stuff for the other 4 doors but not the hatch). Apparently the door switch is somewhere next to the latch but I can't find it or any pics of it in any forums. Can anyone shed some light on some potential problems and solutions. Much appreciated

The switch is IN the latch...you can remove the latch and unplug the switch to test. I changed hatches recently and had mine completely apart....I cant remember for sure but you probably have to remove the inside trim to access the wire harness...in fact, you can likely leave the latch in place and just gain access to the harness plug to test. Its also possible the switch in the dome assembly is faulty. That too can be removed and tested.

I have the same problem, when I went to LED dome light's that light won't come on. (worked with incandescent). I have tracked mine down to a low voltage signal, light only gets 7V when run off the hatch switch, 12V when run off the dome switch. After spending a cramped Saturday afternoon in the cargo area I narrowed it down to a bad wire junction somewhere in the bundle over the left rear fender.
Its on my "someday list". Its annoying, but not annoying enough to tear the trim out, de-bundle the harness & run new wire annoying.

It's been bugging me for a while that I don't get light when I open the hatch. The rear dome light works manually when I turn it on but no luck when it's in the "door" position. I've done my research in the forums and haven't had much luck (a ton of stuff for the other 4 doors but not the hatch). Apparently the door switch is somewhere next to the latch but I can't find it or any pics of it in any forums. Can anyone shed some light on some potential problems and solutions. Much appreciated
Please state the year and country of origin of the vehicle.
There is a wiring difference in interior lighting between 1991 and 1997. IIRC, the center row dome light does not illuminate with the hatch in 1991 US spec. There was a 3rd cargo area light available in some markets.

The switch is IN the latch...you can remove the latch and unplug the switch to test. I changed hatches recently and had mine completely apart....I cant remember for sure but you probably have to remove the inside trim to access the wire harness...in fact, you can likely leave the latch in place and just gain access to the harness plug to test. Its also possible the switch in the dome assembly is faulty. That too can be removed and tested.

Thanks retlaw. Multimeter is on it's way. I've never tackled anything electrical (as far as testing) in the rig so this will be my maiden voyage. Figure it's something I need to get familiar with.

Better chance that it's actually the wiring harness itself. The wires crack and break as they get brittle with age. The harness is still available from Toyota new, it's an easy swap.

Thanks retlaw. Multimeter is on it's way. I've never tackled anything electrical (as far as testing) in the rig so this will be my maiden voyage. Figure it's something I need to get familiar with.

Remember when you are looking for shorts, using the Ohms side, disconnect the battery, or at least make sure the section of harness you are pinging out is disconnected at both ends.

Better chance that it's actually the wiring harness itself. The wires crack and break as they get brittle with age. The harness is still available from Toyota new, it's an easy swap.

Joez, I believe you're on the right path. I replaced the rear door courtesy light switches on both sides and got nothing. So, I believe I have electrical issues with the back end of the truck including rear doors, hatch, the 6 1/2 speaker along with the tweeter above it. Looks like I got some shiznit to figure out. Not familiar with with where this wiring harness would be located. Joez, any chance you know what harness this is and where it is located so I can order it from Toyota?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Any chance this could be related to the factory alarm system (RS3000)? I've been reading over some other threads and it seems that every door is connected to the car alarm. Bad wires/harness in the alarm cables for the rear doors and hatch?

Last edited:
Any chance this could be related to the factory alarm system (RS3000)? I've been reading over some other threads and it seems that every door is connected to the battery. Bad wires/harness in the alarm cables for the rear doors and hatch?

Last edited:
If your rear doors dont operate the dome light either then its likely not the hatch latch.
They all just provide ground to the dome light. Pull out the dome light and check for a good ground on the red/yellow wire when one of these doors is opened.

The EWD would help A LOT. The door position on the rear dome switch harness runs directly to connector IH1 ( 5 wires) in the drivers kick panel. This is the next place to test. The red/yellow wire is on pin 4.

ps My advice is based on the 1997 LX450

And,
If your rear doors dont operate the dome light either then its likely not the hatch latch.
They all just provide ground to the dome light. Pull out the dome light and check for a good ground on the red/yellow wire when one of these doors is opened.

The EWD would help A LOT. The door position on the rear dome switch harness runs directly to connector IH1 ( 5 wires) in the drivers kick panel. This is the next place to test. The red/yellow wire is on pin 4.

ps My advice is based on the 1997 LX450
And, yes, I see that the RS3000 is in that circuit. I have to study that a bit. You might be on to something.

Took a quick look at the RS3000 and I dont think it could prevent the dome light from coming on...that connection looks to be in parallel with the door switches. I'll have a closer look later. Again, the EWD will show you the way!

Took a quick look at the RS3000 and I dont think it could prevent the dome light from coming on...that connection looks to be in parallel with the door switches. I'll have a closer look later. Again, the EWD will show you the way!
I should have said the EWD will LIGHT the way!

One more.... I see now that you have multiple issues. What exactly are they? The connectors in the rear panels are particularly vulnerable to the common water leaks in these areas.

Last edited:
Joez, I believe you're on the right path. I replaced the rear door courtesy light switches on both sides and got nothing. So, I believe I have electrical issues with the back end of the truck including rear doors, hatch, the 6 1/2 speaker along with the tweeter above it. Looks like I got some shiznit to figure out. Not familiar with with where this wiring harness would be located. Joez, any chance you know what harness this is and where it is located so I can order it from Toyota?

Thanks,
The hatch harness is accessible on the driver side back corner of the vehicle. It's tucked into the D pillar support, and exits the body and into the hatch right there.

That harness is just for the hatch. If you have issues with the rear wiper, defroster, CHMSL, and/or dome light all that's a solid culprit. I have the part number around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

However, if you simply just aren't getting thr rear dome light, the light itself could be bad. I had to replace mine a couple years ago, which after replacing my fixture I realized my harness was bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom