1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hatch shocks

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by BlueBoxFJ60, Aug 25, 2006.

1. BlueBoxFJ60

BlueBoxFJ60

i have a new set of hatch shocks. How do i remove the old ones??

2. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

Have someone hold the hatch all the way open, or put a stick in there.
    then you can take the old ones out with a 12mm wrench-you'll see the nut directly where the struts go into the metal of the hatch and rear of the truck.
    that's all there is to it.
    j

3. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    48" stick works good from bottom door hinge to rubber gasket on the top window.

4. PAFJ

PAFJ

Media:
    Albums:
    AFAIK once the strut is removed, the only way to seperate the strut from the ball stud is a bench grinder. Or just buy some new 5/16 studs and tap the holes. I did this recently...bought some new struts from Reid Supply, ended up just tapping the holes for new studs...the thread pitch is almost identical.

5. overhanger

overhanger

Simply pry the original strut off of the ball stud with a pry bar, screwdriver, whatever. Leave the ball stud attached to the hatch. A 2x4 can act as a lever point and protect the paint at the same time.

6. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

I though the toyota struts came with the balls and bolts attached, when you buy them new...
    j

7. WagonsRule

WagonsRule

I changed mine recently. I got the replacements from JT Outfitters. I know nobody likes them, but they were brand new, cheap, and they came with the balls and bolts attached.

The problem I had was getting the old ones off. I put a wrench on the old nut, put just a little force on it, and the nut pretty much disintegreated. It was very soft. I just used a pair of small vice grips. It wasn't easy to get enough bite to get them off, but it wasn't bad either. I sure like to be able to open the hatch and load or unload the cargo area without giving myself a concussion.

8. overhanger

overhanger

Don't know what JTO' price was but you can get everything you need from Reid Tool for less than $50 for the pair.

9. WagonsRule

WagonsRule

I paid less than $70 for the pair delivered. Got 'em off Ebay. New OEM are over $100 per side.

10. BlueBoxFJ60

BlueBoxFJ60

I didn't buy them new they are coming off another 60 of mine.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">