Hatch power lock question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
My hatch does not lock and unlock with my power DL, with either the switch inside or the keyless fob. It doesn't feel like the lock is stuck, as it moves freely manually. Anyway, I have new keys (cut from VIN) and the hatch lock is a PITA. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? TIA

How rusty is the hand release. I had this problem and I think that was the solution. My release was pretty rusted up and wouldn't always move back into it's full off position causing some linkage issues. I replaced the mechanism and handle.

I can't be %100 positive on this but I'm pretty sure that was it.

i've got this same issue right now. I popped the trim piece off to take a look at it and there is a little plastic yellow piece that holds a rod to another metal piece in there somewhere that looks like it has snapped. Would a little connection piece like that be sold individually or would I have to buy a whole new locking mechanism?

i've got this same issue right now. I popped the trim piece off to take a look at it and there is a little plastic yellow piece that holds a rod to another metal piece in there somewhere that looks like it has snapped. Would a little connection piece like that be sold individually or would I have to buy a whole new locking mechanism?

Edit: Maybe I should take note this was 9 months ago! Nevermind! :D

I've got the exact same symptoms... sometimes I'll grab the handle to open it (before turning off the alarm), and yes, it's very loud...especially when these POS remotes only work from 1.79 inches away from the truck (with NEW batteries!).

I can manually lock/unlock it with the key, but what a P.I.T.A.....

Last edited:
So I ripped mine apart real quick and pulled out the mess of a contraption inside the hatch with the tiny motor (that's supposed to lock and unlock...the...well..."the lock". :D )

Turns out that little motor inside goes clockwise and counterclockwise as it should with the touch of the remote, but the "arm junction" that it's supposed to turn one way or the other looks stripped. By "stripped" I mean, there's no threads, just a rough metal shaft that the plastic piece attaches to/around, but it's too loose and hard to tell but it might be cracked. I'm sure all the lube inside it doesn't help it stay snug either... I don't know if this would be a "superglue" or "epoxy" operation, but I'd rather not drop $150 on a new setup...

I'll post pics in the morning. :)

Video will follow shortly too.
hatch-latch.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the video. First half shows how it ~should~ work, the 2nd half how it currently ~doesn't~ work....

YouTube - Lexus LX450 Hatch Latch

what do y'alll think? Just replace it or can that slippage be tightened enough to make it work? Hmm.... OR if anyone is parting out a truck and wants to sell me one, I'm all for it. :)

Well, the black plastic piece that goes around the metal stud appears to be not cracked, but created that way. I tried superglueing it closed and it was way too tight to be able to go back on, so I popped it back how it was before.

I then used some indoor/outdoor caulking on that shaft (trying to "sticky it up") before putting the plastic piece back on, and got it all back together (I figure that piece can't be totally "fixed" and has to have some play in it.).

It appeared it was working like new again. WOOHOO!!! But wait! After just 5 or 6 times locking and unlocking it wasn't getting enough grip to work any longer...hmmm....Plan B: "Something else." ??

Sweet! I never realized you posted all of this until now. :doh: Have you had any more luck?

Nope, no more luck yet, but I haven't put much effort into it to be honest.

I just can't find a good solution other than drilling a hole through both the plastic and metal stud and securing it - with the hardest part getting it in the absolute correct position before drilling....

I've also been trying locate a used one but the only ones I can find are more money that it's worth vs. the minor inconvenience. :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom