Hatch Light Add / Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rob.red
[My 2017 hatch does not have the powered lift system]

Baja Designs Dome Light w/Switch, 1 each White (398051) & Red (398054)

One of my goals was to be minimally invasive as possible mounting the lights to the Land Cruiser. I didn’t want to damage the interior trim if I could avoid it. I want the option to change or revert if I choose. Your mounting choice can of course be different depending on your light fixture choice.

In some markets there is small square panel on the inside of the hatch near the exterior unlocking button that hosts an interior hatch release button. There is no other way to open the hatch from inside. In the USA model this interior hatch release button is not implemented and is a blank panel. I’m going to use that removable Lock Cover panel as my location to mount my lights. This panel is easily removable to provide service access to the exterior latch and of course service access to my new hatch light wiring. If I choose to do something different this blank Lock Cover panel is easily replaceable from the Toyota Parts Counter ($13) 67848-60050-B0.

If you did implement the hatch release by acquiring parts from Toyota or other vendor you can still do this mod… you’ll just mount the lights outboard of the removable panel directly into the hatch trim. :)

more details... Tailgate and Cargo Area LED Hatch Lights

2020-07-15-13.19.00-600x450.jpg

2020-07-30-21.02.16-600x450.jpg

2020-07-30-21.02.26-600x450.jpg

Last edited:

One of my goals was to be minimally invasive as possible mounting the lights to the Land Cruiser. I didn’t want to damage the interior trim if I could avoid it. I want the option to change or revert if I choose. Your mounting choice can of course be different depending on your light fixture choice.

In some markets there is small square panel on the inside of the hatch near the exterior unlocking button that hosts an interior hatch release button. There is no other way to open the hatch from inside. In the USA model this interior hatch release button is not implemented and is a blank panel. I’m going to use that removable Lock Cover panel as my location to mount my lights. This panel is easily removable to provide service access to the exterior latch and of course service access to my new hatch light wiring. If I choose to do something different this blank Lock Cover panel is easily replaceable from the Toyota Parts Counter ($13) 67848-60050-B0.

If you did implement the hatch release by acquiring parts from Toyota or other vendor you can still do this mod… you’ll just mount the lights outboard of the removable panel directly into the hatch trim. :)

View attachment 2435292
View attachment 2435299
View attachment 2435300
They're pretty proud of these at $75 a pop.

Not much to say about the price - they are expensive. I'm sure you could find something cheaper / budget. I will say my experience with Baja for support and warranty was superb. I had the older design lights which operated a bit differently in terms of switch control. They were not compatible with my install - Baja shipped a new set of lights without hesitation that were compatible with my install. No cost to me. Price aside the quality of the lamps and the service is fantastic.

Not much to say about the price - they are expensive. I'm sure you could find something cheaper / budget. I will say my experience with Baja for support and warranty was superb. I had the older design lights which operated a bit differently in terms of switch control. They were not compatible with my install - Baja shipped a new set of lights without hesitation that were compatible with my install. No cost to me. Price aside the quality of the lamps and the service is fantastic.
BD are the only lights I run, and as you point out performance and customer service are top notch but that price point for a seldom used unit is beyond my wallet. The red one will save you from inviting all the bugs within 1 mile to the interior of your rig. Thanks for the product info though.

[My 2017 hatch does not have the powered lift system]

View attachment 2435292
View attachment 2435299
View attachment 2435300

Question for you on this. Do either/both of the lights turn on automatically when you open the tailgate? I like the idea of having a white and a red light available. I have a power tailgate so I'd need to do this a little differently but was curious if it could be set for just one of the lights to come on automatically or if by doing both you lose the ability to have either come on automatically.

(Fully realized these may be basic questions but this will be my first time messing with wiring in a vehicle)

Question for you on this. Do either/both of the lights turn on automatically when you open the tailgate? I like the idea of having a white and a red light available. I have a power tailgate so I'd need to do this a little differently but was curious if it could be set for just one of the lights to come on automatically or if by doing both you lose the ability to have either come on automatically.

(Fully realized these may be basic questions but this will be my first time messing with wiring in a vehicle)
Your life is easier if you have a power tailgate, since you have power and ground that those of us with manual opening tailgates don't have. The easiest way to do this, since you don't have electrical experience, is to buy one already assembled from the member on this site from Australia that sells them (@Brendan - LC200 Rear Tailgate Cargo Interior Light Very Bright - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lc200-rear-tailgate-cargo-interior-light-very-bright.1165040/post-12630448).

Your life is easier if you have a power tailgate, since you have power and ground that those of us with manual opening tailgates don't have. The easiest way to do this, since you don't have electrical experience, is to buy one already assembled from the member on this site from Australia that sells them.
Yeah, I'm definitely thinking of buying his. He doesn't do the red and white together (although not 100% sure I need that) which is what brought me to ask here. I'm also thinking the only way to get electrical experience is to give it a try. This seems like a pretty "safe" way to get started without the potential of screwing something up too bad!

If you DIY, I'd encourage you to read up on fuses and proper wire sizes. It isn't rocket science, but you'll want to be safe about it. Blue Sea has some good info on their site.

Your life is easier if you have a power tailgate, since you have power and ground that those of us with manual opening tailgates don't have. The easiest way to do this, since you don't have electrical experience, is to buy one already assembled from the member on this site from Australia that sells them (@Brendan - LC200 Rear Tailgate Cargo Interior Light Very Bright - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lc200-rear-tailgate-cargo-interior-light-very-bright.1165040/post-12630448
Another approach is to get a surface battery powered unit that can be attached with 3M double sided tape. Easy, quick, probably cheaper and a whole lot less complicated, you know, the KISS way.

Last edited:

You could use something like this: Amazon product ASIN B000IYU3DC

Thanks @RobRed

I have been looking for something like this.

How is the quality of light? Diffusion? Color temperature? Switch quality?

Do the base get hot (where it attaches to the panel)? Any risk of melting the plastic or catching something on fire?

Another approach is to get a surface battery powered unit that can be attached with 3M double sided tape. Easy, quick, probably cheaper and a whole lot less complicated, you know, the KISS way.

There's some pretty cool and ultra low profile magnet based ones too. Just slap on a steel plate sticker as a mount.

There's some pretty cool and ultra low profile magnet based ones too. Just slap on a steel plate sticker as a mount.

Do you have some that you recommend? I am looking for white and red, preferably with integral switch. The BD lights above seem perfect other than the price.

Do you have some that you recommend? I am looking for white and red, preferably with integral switch. The BD lights above seem perfect other than the price.

I never did buy one specific for it so don't have a great recommendation.

I did use a steel sticker backing from extra cell phone magnetic mounts, paired with some camping lights I already had that happened to be magnetic. Worked great in adhoc fashion at camp when I needed extra light. But I ultimately went built in because it's so easy on the LX.

Whatever you do wind up with, I highly recommend it be as low profile as possible. The hatch comes down pretty low and with lots of camping gear in the boot, can interfere with the light.

Answering some questions ...

The lamps have individual on / off switches... manual control. I may create and automatic off function in the future if I feel the need. For example in the 100 series I tapped the magnetic switch for the "hatch open" signal for the factory rear dome light to trigger my hatch lights. Im sure something could be done in the 200.

The dispersion of light is pretty wide on both lamps and the brightness is good. Strip lights would likely be less shadow prone since you'd have more LED emitters - BD lamps are single LED emitter.

The white light is prob about 4500k temp. Good quality. I'm sure BD could give you the spec.

The bases do get warm but not hot, nothing to be concerned with.

There is a power source in the hatch (brake light) so you could potentially tap it, if you do not have the power hatch. I prefer fused accessories separate from the OEM wiring. My lights are wired to a Blue Sea fuse box living in the wing of the TrekBoxx.

I had the Maxxima MSLS strip light on my 100 and was very happy with it. If they made a 12" red version I would probably go that route.

Amazon product ASIN B083GDMVQ2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom