Has your diesel MPG gone up recently? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just saw Stone's for sale thread where he said his economy recently went up.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=1337030#post1337030

I know my economy is better recently.
I used to use 12.25L per 100kms and now I am around 10.75 liters per 100km's.
I thought it was because of the Stanadyne diesel conditioner I was using.
But maybe we are using that new low sulfer diesel now.
It is supposed to burn cleaner. Maybe that also means an extra few MPG?

Anyone else check there economy in the last few weeks?
How is it now compared to 1 year ago?

Cheers,
Nick

nickw said:
I just saw Stone's for sale thread where he said his economy recently went up.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=1337030#post1337030

I know my economy is better recently.
I used to use 12.25L per 100kms and now I am around 10.75 liters per 100km's.
I thought it was because of the Stanadyne diesel conditioner I was using.
But maybe we are using that new low sulfer diesel now.
It is supposed to burn cleaner. Maybe that also means an extra few MPG?

Anyone else check there economy in the last few weeks?
How is it now compared to 1 year ago?

Cheers,
Nick

I know my mileage always gets better in the summer with summer fuel.

Use the same station, use the same conditioner, and track for one full year so you hit both winter and summer fuel. That will tell you if it is the conditioner you are using, or simply a change in fuel specs.

hth's

gb

We've been using Low Sulfur Diesel [500ppm] in Canada for about five years now. Our bulk dealer has the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel [15ppm] since May this year.

I did notice a few percent improvement in MPG with ULSD, but attributed it to the warmer weather.

Low Sulfur Diesel had lubricity problems, however the new ULSD has lubricity additives to make it as slick as old #2 diesel.

Over here the sulphur is usually reduced in December and this usually causes a demand on pump/injector reconditioning in January/March from talks recently to three different injector shops. Also it is noted with the lower sulphur diesel that less H. P. is developed and more fuel is used.I think you guys are lucky.:cheers:

bigbrowndog said:
Over here the sulphur is usually reduced in December and this usually causes a demand on pump/injector reconditioning in January/March from talks recently to three different injector shops. Also it is noted with the lower sulphur diesel that less H. P. is developed and more fuel is used.I think you guys are lucky.:cheers:

I am glad you think we are lucky.
Good to know we have one up on you somewhere, :)

Because most of us here in Canada think you guys are lucky.
You get all the cool cruisers there. 70 series, diesel 80's, deisel 100's.... :)

Cheers.

Mines been slightly lower with summer #2:frown: But then I had the transfer case gears redone which messed up my 4H gearing, so then I had to buy taller tires to try and get the rpms back to where they where originally, got close but not exactly. Then I have been playing with increasing the boost and have been enjoying the extra power at stop lights:doh: I did a Seafoam cleaning last week and will fill up today and then try and drive like I have been driving before to see what my mpg does.

nickw said:
I am glad you think we are lucky.
Good to know we have one up on you somewhere, :)

Because most of us here in Canada think you guys are lucky.
You get all the cool cruisers there. 70 series, diesel 80's, deisel 100's.... :)

Cheers.
I thought you put a new turbo on your truck about September/October from memory, probably confused that with some one else. LOL I think that would have been a better solution than less sulphur.:D

bigbrowndog said:
I thought you put a new turbo on your truck about September/October from memory, probably confused that with some one else. LOL I think that would have been a better solution than less sulphur.:D

Mine got rebuilt about 2 months ago.

I haven't noticed any change in fuel economy at all with summer diesel. But I'm not sure I could say any tank of fuel has been based on identical driving conditions. So any tiny % change, which in my case is not statistically significant, could as likely be explained by different driving conditions than any effect a change in fuel has had. I am still trying to work out why my economy is not quite what I think it should be.

i don't know but does everyone worry that much about a mile per gallon?
i know i just jump in a drive, as long as i am getting better than the same bodystyle gasser, i am happy...
i usually do a test run to see what i am getting when i buy the truck and that is about it...
there are so many variables, think about it. stuck in traffic for a few more minutes one tank, a bit heavier foot passing one extra car a tank, fill up at a different fuel station that might have a bit of water in their tanks, air pressure in the tires being off bey even 2 lbs, an extra person, a windy'r month, air temp...
they all can have a bearing on the resulting milage...

coldtaco said:
Mines been slightly lower with summer #2:frown: But then I had the transfer case gears redone which messed up my 4H gearing,

Strange: Could well be the gearing, and rpm. As you know...

(Summer)No.2 diesel has about 139,000 Btu per gallon.

(Winter) is usually a blend of DF1 and DF2

No. 1 diesel has about 132,000 Btu per gallon

Or thereabouts.

Less BTU means more fuel for the same given workload, so your fuel mileage usually heads downhill a little in the winter. Additives can help reduce this.

hth's

gb

Maybe not everyone mentions the fuel economy issue as much as me. I have to agree that 22mpg imperial is very good for the size of the vehicle, and if I didn't know better, I'd stop whining about it. But I know of at least 2 people driving the same truck, who are getting almost 20% better economy than me. Driving under similar conditions, with a truck that has been extensively maintained, and driving as much as possible for fuel economy, I'm still worse off than others are experiencing. For me, it's more about why. I have to know. I guess if I just accepted things I'd never have started posting on this forum. I am not a heavy footed driver, so I don't think that is a big factor. I can accept a 5-7% difference but 20% in my mind means something, somewhere, is probably wrong with the truck. I have to find out what it is. That's just my nature.

crushers said:
i don't know but does everyone worry that much about a mile per gallon?
i know i just jump in a drive, as long as i am getting better than the same bodystyle gasser, i am happy...
i usually do a test run to see what i am getting when i buy the truck and that is about it...
there are so many variables, think about it. stuck in traffic for a few more minutes one tank, a bit heavier foot passing one extra car a tank, fill up at a different fuel station that might have a bit of water in their tanks, air pressure in the tires being off bey even 2 lbs, an extra person, a windy'r month, air temp...
they all can have a bearing on the resulting milage...

When you're paying $1.90 a litre as we are over here in the UK ,MPG is much more of an issue.Deisel here is more expensive than petrol.Years ago it was (much) cheaper until deisels started out selling petrols and now outnumber them on the roads.An easy £££ for the taxman.

Towpack said:
When you're paying $1.90 a litre as we are over here in the UK ,MPG is much more of an issue.Deisel here is more expensive than petrol.Years ago it was (much) cheaper until deisels started out selling petrols and now outnumber them on the roads.An easy £££ for the taxman.

That really buges me. Seeing as diesel is less work to manufactue than petrol.
Over here I am paying $1.009 CDN a liter. Not to bad.

I am already consideing biodiesel.
And then a mix in the winter.
Biodiesel is about 60 cents a liter to make with new oil.

Cheers,
Nick

Martin White said:
Maybe not everyone mentions the fuel economy issue as much as me. I have to agree that 22mpg imperial is very good for the size of the vehicle, and if I didn't know better, I'd stop whining about it. But I know of at least 2 people driving the same truck, who are getting almost 20% better economy than me. Driving under similar conditions, with a truck that has been extensively maintained, and driving as much as possible for fuel economy, I'm still worse off than others are experiencing. For me, it's more about why. I have to know. I guess if I just accepted things I'd never have started posting on this forum. I am not a heavy footed driver, so I don't think that is a big factor. I can accept a 5-7% difference but 20% in my mind means something, somewhere, is probably wrong with the truck. I have to find out what it is. That's just my nature.

I don't believe your friends are getting 30mpg or so with an 80 series.
That is into good running turbo 5-speed BJ60 territory. And a BJ60 is lighter.

Martin, to be honest, I think we are getting top fuel economy.
Maybe your friends have an intercooler, or they are working there numbers out wrong.

What numbers are they using for KM-miles conversion, and liters to gallon? And is there odometer accurate? GPS checked?

Cheers,
Nick

I never said 30 mpg! I said 20% better than my 22. 20% of 22 is 4.4, and 4.4 + my 22 = 26.4 which is pretty well exactly what Dave's truck is getting, and is in line with what Sheldon posted he got on the highway. Dave is as careful as me with calculations. His mileage is done using GPS, and he has consistently got this number over about 25,000 km of driving. As for Sheldon, I'm sure he is just as accurate. I believe Wayne has also reported similar numbers. So, I'm not convinced 22 mpg is what it should be getting. Nick, you just reported your consumption is down to around 10.75 l / 100 km which is again, better than I'm getting.

Martin White said:
I never said 30 mpg! I said 20% better than my 22. 20% of 22 is 4.4, and 4.4 + my 22 = 26.4 which is pretty well exactly what Dave's truck is getting, and is in line with what Sheldon posted he got on the highway. Dave is as careful as me with calculations. His mileage is done using GPS, and he has consistently got this number over about 25,000 km of driving. As for Sheldon, I'm sure he is just as accurate. I believe Wayne has also reported similar numbers. So, I'm not convinced 22 mpg is what it should be getting. Nick, you just reported your consumption is down to around 10.75 l / 100 km which is again, better than I'm getting.

Ok, sorry Martin. My mistake.
Get some fuel conditioner and run it.
Try running it heavy to start with.

I have tried a few different ones now.
No major differences with any (that I can tell), but according to the numbers the Stanadyne (and summer diesel) had the biggest effect. But the Stanadayne stuff is recommned my most deisel manufactures as the conditioner of choice. So imagine it does a better job of prolonging engine and parts life (injectors, pump, etc...) so I going to stick with it.

Cheers,
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom