Has this ever been done before? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ugly photoshop:

35VieLz.jpg

Basically turned an fzj80 into a truck?

Has this ever been done before?

Edit: Some research shows the people have indeed cut out the back portion of cruisers but... i'm not sure if anyone has actually extended the frame and axel out and converted the back to a bed.... Now that would be an interesting and difficult project.

v2 jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Search for slee Vlakvark

...via IH8MUD app

The body work on your concept would be a bit more extensive than just extending the wheel base and sealing up the front... It almost seems like you would need body panels from another 80 series (and some talent) to get all the lines to work on the "bed" section. That's probably why the chop is done with a flat bed on those Aussie conversions.

There's a distinct difference in maintaining the bottom portion of the truck for the bed (like your picture) and isolating the front cab from the bed. The chops that maintain the lower portion of the body look too much like old Blazers to me. I prefer the cab/bed look like a normal pickup, which is why the tray back option is so appealing. That's completely personal preference... the conversions done still required a great deal of work and skill.

I doubt the lines and dimensions would work, but it may be worth exploring an extended wheel base with an isolated front cab and an older Tundra short bed or something.

I plan on doing an extended cab chop with a tray back eventually. I want to keep the stock wheelbase and add a 5.5' or 6' bed with hinged sides that will hopefully accommodate a small camper or chopped up contractor shell.

Such long wheel base you would get hung up everywhere.

Is it that much different from a

20131231_151946-1-jpg.238

double cab tundra?

I mean I've driven CCLB trucks before and I've had no problem with them.

The body work on your concept would be a bit more extensive than just extending the wheel base and sealing up the front... It almost seems like you would need body panels from another 80 series (and some talent) to get all the lines to work on the "bed" section. That's probably why the chop is done with a flat bed on those Aussie conversions.

There's a distinct difference in maintaining the bottom portion of the truck for the bed (like your picture) and isolating the front cab from the bed. The chops that maintain the lower portion of the body look too much like old Blazers to me. I prefer the cab/bed look like a normal pickup, which is why the tray back option is so appealing. That's completely personal preference... the conversions done still required a great deal of work and skill.

I doubt the lines and dimensions would work, but it may be worth exploring an extended wheel base with an isolated front cab and an older Tundra short bed or something.

I plan on doing an extended cab chop with a tray back eventually. I want to keep the stock wheelbase and add a 5.5' or 6' bed with hinged sides that will hopefully accommodate a small camper or chopped up contractor shell.

Thanks for the info, yeah it does seem like it would be a lot of work.

I actually like it way more than I thought I would.

There would be a huge amount of body work to make it work and you would definitely need two 80's to cut apart to get the bed. But you would have a pretty nice setup when you're done.

I still think that generation Tundra was the best looking Tundra ever. They need to just go back to that look but increase the dimensions 10-15% and make it a real 1 ton.

Any details on actual frame extension, as in how best structurally?

If one had two frames and were extending 12" (moving the rear wheel arch aft 12") would it be a matter of inserting a section between the two frames, welding through, then plating inner and outer frame rails?

How'd @sleeoffroad do the limo?

Yep that is basically how they do it. Take precautions when the frames are cut not to cut straight up and down. Find a section of rectangular tubing that fits tightly inside, drill holes to rosette weld the tube inside the frame, put the two frame halves back together weld them, and then plate the sides with diamond shaped plate and reinforce the top and bottom, strength would not be an issue with good welds.

Frame shouldn't be a problem if done correctly. Heavy trucks-dump trucks/cement mixers/garbage/etc trucks all cut/welded to get correct wheel base for beds/loads. Separate bed/box as traditional pickup be better with such length to allow for frame twist/etc so body panels don't kink/buckle?

Pretty sure slee did the limo with the "buy it now" mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom