Has my transmission grenaded? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home on the interstate yesterday going about 70 then all of a sudden I hear a bit of loud clunk and then the car stops moving and rolls to a stop on the side of the road...still running though, no dash lights. 1999 Land Cruiser with 150k miles. So, I get to the shoulder, turn it off.....start it up again and put it in drive and hear a bunch of 'grinding' in P, R, D1 and D2.....won't go into gear and if you try to accelerate, the noise gets louder. Grenaded transmission?
Thank you
Jim

Or splines are toast on CV axle.

Most likely that one of the c-clips fell off the end of the CV axle. You can test by locking the center diff and seeing if it will move then. Don't drive it far like that.
Thanks for the quick replies my friends.
With respect to locking the center differential, if you're talking about engaging the button on the lower left....I tried that last night on the side of the road and she still wouldn't move.

2001 LC Dash.jpg

Yes, the button with the 4 tires and the "x". It may take a moment for the diff to lock, it's not always instantaneous, and you might have to give it really light throttle to line up the gears. The light on the dash will go solid once it's locked.

Yes, the button with the 4 tires and the "x". It may take a moment for the diff to lock, it's not always instantaneous, and you might have to give it really light throttle to line up the gears. The light on the dash will go solid once it's locked.
got it....I'll test that in the next few hours and report back. Thank you in advance for any/all help.

got it....I'll test that in the next few hours and report back. Thank you in advance for any/all help.
In the meantime, assuming the tranny is hosed....is the consensus to rebuild or buy remanufactured? This what I'm looking for...A343F?
If rebuild....I welcome any suggestions for shops in and around San Diego

Would be really odd and rare for the transmission to just grenade with no prior warning. Agree with the boys that it's probably CV splines, clips, or flanges.

Would be really odd and rare for the transmission to just grenade with no prior warning. Agree with the boys that it's probably CV splines, clips, or flanges.
I'm certainly hoping that's the case as there certainly weren't any warnings whatsoever...no abnormal noises, shifting, or anything...fluid looks good also.

As I think about this....they dropped it in my driveway which is on a slight hill and it's facing down. If I do the center differential test...it's just gonna roll and then I'll be screwed with it stuck on the street. Hmmmmm

As I think about this....they dropped it in my driveway which is on a slight hill and it's facing down. If I do the center differential test...it's just gonna roll and then I'll be screwed with it stuck on the street. Hmmmmm
throw a block under the front tires and try reverse?

You can pop the caps off the flanges and visually inspect the c-clips without even moving the truck too.
for sure....I'll look there as well. That's something I'm familiar with as I did the front breaks, wheel bearings about 5 months ago......

for sure....I'll look there as well. That's something I'm familiar with as I did the front breaks, wheel bearings about 5 months ago......
*brakes

What year is it?

** Here is your biggest clue so far.

I suspect your problem relates to the hub flange, axle splines, C clips.

Check dipstick fluid for metal shavings.

Hope it is C-clip, but at 70 MPG there is not much stress on axles. Most trans failures are reported while driving 75 MPH. too early to jump into conclusions without a proper inspection. When my trans went out, I heard crunching sound right under the transmission while engine is idling.. no response to any gear except, high revw's and then it starts moving while slipping then hard shift into 2nd.

I just realized I said it was a '99 in my original post...it's actually a 2001. My son has a '99 4runner that i've been dealing with other issue separately.....it's always something.
I couldn’t tell for the picture of your dash- head unit- and the passenger side airbag in the dash-

Check dipstick fluid for metal shavings.

Hope it is C-clip, but at 70 MPG there is not much stress on axles. Most trans failures are reported while driving 75 MPH. too early to jump into conclusions without a proper inspection. When my trans went out, I heard crunching sound right under the transmission while engine is idling.. no response to any gear except, high revw's and then it starts moving while slipping then hard shift into 2nd.
Well I was optimistic at first as when I started it there was no noticeable noise, engaged the center diff, and in R was able to back up my driveway. I rolled back down and did the same thing again. I then disengaged the center diff and started going in R and then a clunk and grinding. I put it back in P and then grinding subsided. Tried again with the center diff engaged and now it won't do anything and grinding seems worse and now doesn't go away when idling in park....I'm trying to upload a video but unsuccessful thus far. Here are a pics of my hub flanges with dust caps removed.
IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0038.jpg

Well I was optimistic at first as when I started it there was no noticeable noise, engaged the center diff, and in R was able to back up my driveway. I rolled back down and did the same thing again. I then disengaged the center diff and started going in R and then a clunk and grinding. I put it back in P and then grinding subsided. Tried again with the center diff engaged and now it won't do anything and grinding seems worse and now doesn't go away when idling in park....I'm trying to upload a video but unsuccessful thus far. Here are a pics of my hub flanges with dust caps removed.View attachment 3291856View attachment 3291857
no metal shavings when I checked the dipstick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom