has anyone tried this! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi,

i am rebuilding the front diff and i have a problem with the fornt dust cover. they are completly worn out and they are not even worth the amount of rust on them!

so here is the question:
1- is these are necessary since most people converting to disk at the back are not using some kind of cover?

2- if they are usefull, can someone try to take rear drum dust cover and use them at the front or is it better to just and buy some new or used one!

thanks to all

Yves

front discs?

In that case you do need the cover to get proper spacing for the spindle bolts. I however only use the inner donut of the cover, I cut the rest of the crap off and rerouted my brake-lines so that then go directly from the housing to the calipers via flexy hose (no longer have to bled brakes while getting into the front end, read fj60 axles). I believe that the covers pretty much only hold heat and muck in and that not covering is better. Some people think that they protect your rotors so whatever.

yes i have front discs!

i think i will do exctly like you said..or evven make a new washer with the normal thickness of a new dust cover since even the flange on mine is crap.....rust is holding together!

yves

frenchman said:
yes i have front discs!

i think i will do exctly like you said..or evven make a new washer with the normal thickness of a new dust cover since even the flange on mine is crap.....rust is holding together!

yves

Try to save the flange, because you DON'T just need the spacing. The part that is being spaced out [yes I said spaced out-hehehe] is the hub seal, and if you put washers behind the hub seal, you basically DEFEATED its purpose. :doh:

:)

Used dust/splash guards come up every so often. Post in the wanted section. I have bought a set once from Proffits. Later found another set. I sold a perfect set for like $25 or something. Look around, they are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom