Has anyone tried the Duralast MAF sensor in their FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '89 FJ62 is going through bouts of extreme hesitation. It will run strong for a while, and then suddenly start running very roughly. The engine never completely dies, but when the problem starts it will only go 5 mph or so, even with the accelerator pressed to the floor.

This starts to happen primarily when the gas gauge is around 1/4 of a tank, after tight right-hand turns, or after re-starting before the engine has cooled down completely.

The fuel filter (the one outside the tank) has been replaced recently, and I'm adding Seafoam every time I fill up (for the last couple of fill-ups).

After reading a bunch of threads on similar issues, I'm wondering if the MAF sensor is the culprit. I would prefer an OEM unit, but I'm noticing those seem to be hard to find and expensive. AutoZone offers a Duralast model that they say fits-- it's a stock item, and the price is around $100 with their current coupons. Best Mass Air Flow Sensor Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

Have any of you installed on of those Duralast MAF sensors? Any suggestions on other things to try?

Thanks!

My '89 FJ62 is going through bouts of extreme hesitation. It will run strong for a while, and then suddenly start running very roughly. The engine never completely dies, but when the problem starts it will only go 5 mph or so, even with the accelerator pressed to the floor.

This starts to happen primarily when the gas gauge is around 1/4 of a tank, after tight right-hand turns, or after re-starting before the engine has cooled down completely.

The fuel filter (the one outside the tank) has been replaced recently, and I'm adding Seafoam every time I fill up (for the last couple of fill-ups).

After reading a bunch of threads on similar issues, I'm wondering if the MAF sensor is the culprit. I would prefer an OEM unit, but I'm noticing those seem to be hard to find and expensive. AutoZone offers a Duralast model that they say fits-- it's a stock item, and the price is around $100 with their current coupons. Best Mass Air Flow Sensor Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

Have any of you installed on of those Duralast MAF sensors? Any suggestions on other things to try?

Thanks!
Curious if you got your problem resolved? Been having similar issues with my 62 I just bought trying not to get discouraged. So curious as to which MAF you went with!

Curious if you got your problem resolved? Been having similar issues with my 62 I just bought trying not to get discouraged. So curious as to which MAF you went with!
Hello, I am experiencing these issues too and would love to know what maf worked for your fj62!

I found a place that can rebuild them. I’d much rather send an oem to get rebuilt and calibrated than to trust a bulk manufactured item.

I found a place that can rebuild them. I’d much rather send an oem to get rebuilt and calibrated than to trust a bulk manufactured item.

This is the route I am going to take as well. He has great reviews and is responsive to questions.

There is a bench test in the FSM to tell if your AFM is still reading accurately (to clarify for the rest of the thread, What the 3FE uses is an Air Flow Meter [AFM] and NOT a Mass Air Flow meter [MAF]). Given how old these rigs are, I'm curious to go ahead and check mine out and see what kind of readings I get.

If you or @red66toy send yours out any time soon, be sure to update if you notice any difference in engine operation or fuel economy. If mine's out of whack at all (I doubt it is because my engine has been running well as I've kept up with mechanical maintenance), I'll add this to the list of things to do.

Any updates on the above AFM fun? I may be heading down the road of repair or replacing… just seeing if there was an update. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom