Has anyone traded a late model DD vehicle for an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What year did the 1FZ go to distributorless ignition? I would look for that at least.
2000, 2001 80 series?

I really like the FZJ71 and it may have stronger axles than the 80? But if you need room, the 80 is certainly better.
You have some nice choices in Venezuela. How about the 2003-05 Nissan Patrol?

I bought an LS400 and my 80 within days of each other and DD the combo for a month or so untill I started the build on the truck. Then as soon as the 80 was up and running I sold the LS400 that I origionally had planned on driving into the ground b.c it just wasn't an 80 and quite boring to drive.

I used to DD my 2000 Saturn. I bought my wife an '03 Pilot.

I ended up w/ my 97 LX450 as my DD. Use the Saturn for quick trips.

I also bought a '85 FJ60 as my money pit.

I am looking for a LX470 to replace the Pilot.

I drove an 05 Tundra crew cab, sold it (along with the payment book)

Sold a 2001 J**p cherokee with 6" lift and 32's with only 97k on it. Got rid of $125 payment and still getting about the same gas mileage out of my 95 with 188k. However, I can seat 7 now, have disc brakes, front and rear lockers, larger engine can fit bigger tires stock than I did lifted on the xj and all after paying cash for the fzj. Maintenance is killing me right now but soon I will hopefully have all that behind me and be good for 50k more miles.
AR

I sold my 60 to fund the purchase of my 80. I recently inherited a 5 mile commute and thought that I would end up getting rid of my 99 outback and just dd the 80. 2 weeks into a headgasket repair and I am glad I didn't ditch the subaru. In my line of work there is no substitute for reliability. If I get the cruiser back together and she proves to be reliable, I will consider selling the subaru, even though it is reliable it is boring to drive. To early to tell, but I would say that if I was you and was comfortable with the rig you have, since it's capabilities are similar to the 80, I would keep the rig I had. There is no telling what you will find with a new to you rig. My experience has been surprising on the side of disappointment.

Bought a 91 FJ80 for a ranch truck and fell in love with it wheeling the back 40.

So, for my upcoming move to OH, I sold my 2004 BMW and have been DDing the Cruiser. I miss the pep of the Bimmer, but the Cruiser is fun in and of itself.

At 218k miles, I'm having a few issues (rough idle, other minor stuff), but nothing (so far) that I can't fix on my own for $40. And I'm more of an egghead than a gear head.

Bought my 80 with the specific intention of replacing my low mileage 2002 Ford Explorer. Absolutely no regrets as the 80 is a better, more reliable vehicle even if it is 7 years older and had 50K extra miles..

However, the Explorer is a POS. If I had a 70 series, I don't think I would be looking to replace it.

I'd always driven VW's, but after a few years as a homeowner and more than a few runs to HomeDepot, i realized i needed a truck. So I found an '88 4Runner and fell in love with Toyota wrenching and modifications...principally due to the imagination and support of the owner communities, like IH8MUD.

In 2006, I found a '97 FZJ80 in great shape with 105k miles on it. After some research and deliberation, I pulled the trigger and acquired it by trading in my '99.5 Jetta and a few $K in cash. It was a great deal. I've loved this truck more than any other vehicle i've owned.

Pound for pound, I wouldn't imagine deploying in any more capable vehicle for a POV... and yet still doubles as "date night" vehicle and protects my family when on the road. The fact that it happened to be 'fire engine' red (IMHO) has always sealed the deal for me, being that I'm a Vol EMT/FF and a SAR Team member.

Been driving a '00 100 for 6 years as a DD. I absolutely love the truck. Comfortable, fast & with minor upgrades, shocks and bigger tires/Revos does well in off road, trail work if I have to recon a job at work.

2 mos into my 80 Series and as cool as it is I just don't see it being as comfortable and dependable as my 100. Don't get me wrong; I really like it, but come winter it just doesn't have that nice cozy warm feel that my 100 has.

Only drive 10 miles a day to the train, but sometimes have to drive to job sites. Unless I was gonna do some serious off road you can't beat the 100.

What year did the 1FZ go to distributorless ignition? I would look for that at least.
2000, 2001 80 series?

I really like the FZJ71 and it may have stronger axles than the 80? But if you need room, the 80 is certainly better.
You have some nice choices in Venezuela. How about the 2003-05 Nissan Patrol?

For some bizarre reason, the 80 never got the distributorless ignition even though it remained in production up until 2007 and was sold alongside the 70 series that got the 3 coil ignition system in 2002 (in my country, they got it earlier on some other countries).

The axles are very similar, I don't think one is stronger than the other. The Patrol is an awesome 4x4, but it is crazy expensive here, somewhat rare and parts are hard to find.

Also, keep in mind that vehicles depreciate VERY slowly in my country, just to give you an idea, a 10 year old 80 in decent condition could be worth 20k US$ and sometimes more, an 07 is worth over 35k US :doh: .

I think I might be the only person on this board who is on the fence about my decision. I had 01 6spd Cummins HO Ram. It was a flawless truck. Never had a single issue with it. Would get 22mpg on the highway. Why did I get rid of it? I have a *big* dog and the better half wanted him *in* the car with us when we want on road/camping trips.

Mind you I don't regret the LC at all...I just miss having a turbo-diesel pickup.

I sold my 2000 Ram 2500 for my LX450. If the Dodge had been a 12valve 5spd I would have had a tough time with it... I totally LOVE the 80, and like yours, my wife is happy her 3 dogs are now IN the rig too! The things we do for our critters, (both 4 legged and 2)!

If so, why did you do it and do you regret your decision?

I'm asking because I'm considering trading my current '08 FZJ71 for an 80, I've always loved LC wagons and since they are not getting any younger, I believe that now is the time to do it. I'm looking for a well maintained 80 with low mileage (under 100k). Am I nuts or would an 80 in good conditions make a good daily driver?.

Thanks.

I traded a '93 Ford Aerostar Mini-Van in December 1999 for my '94 80 series. If the price of fuel here was as low as it is there, I think my 80 would have over 500K miles, instead of the 230k+ that it now has. The only regrets I had were nothing to do with the rig, but some of the financial hurdles that my family and I went through. At the time, the :princess: gave me nothing but ****. She eventually saw the wisdom in owning the 80 and now loves it. It has been the best vehicle we've ever owned, hands down. I hate sedans as an all season vehicle, and owning the 80 has been pleasure with the weather and road conditions we face on a daily basis. As a family car, off road rig and multi-use vehicle, it comes out on top, IMHO.

I had an 80 and a 100. Right now I have an 07 tundra limited. As soon as I can squirrel away enough "extra" cash I'm getting another 80 and getting rid of the tundra and the payment. Gas mileage should be at least neutral if not an improvement.

We traded an 04 Yukon Denali as the Family Vehicle for the 97 FZJ80. Never looked back. No Payment and more fun. Less stress about door dings or getting it dirty.

Sold my 2000 BMW M5 for my 97 LX450, mainly to have a 4x4 again and for my kids at the time 2 black labs, 1 siberian husky. Now just 1 black lab and 1 husky.

Love my LX and wouldnt ever think about selling it. It will be the last 4x4 I ever own! Had it 4 years now!

Jeremy

Wow that's a change! 400hp M5 to 2xx in the LC.

I had considered selling my Subaru STi when I bought my 96 LC, but I like having 3 vehicles if I need to work on one. The way I "sold" the idea of buying the LC was that I'd sell the STi. Now I really don't want to. She came up with idea of letting her drive the LC as a DD and selling our 05 Odyssey minivan.

I told her that once I get a few items taken care of in the truck I'll consider selling the van and adding an S2000 to the driveway. She agreed. Very weird for her to do so. :) So I'd keep the STi, do some more work to the truck, and get a nice little convertible in the process. ;)

the last vehicle I owned before the FZJ80s was a 2002 Suabaru Outback Sport. New off the lot. I sold it when I was working for a company that gave me a company rig. The company rigs were always full size vans and then a 2008 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton. When my job was eliminated, I had already been casually looking for a FZJ80 for about a year. After driving full sized rigs there was no way I was getting a car. The 80 fit the bill all around and I moved into the red one (RIP) in May 2008.

Right now I cannot imagine having another vehicle I would want to DD. But I live at 10,000ft in the mountains and having a burly rig for harsh driving conditions is a great comfort. Actually, a reconditioned 40, 55, or 60 series would be a great vehicle for me for in-County driving just cause they've got character and I don't ever go faster than about 50mph around the community.

Like many have said, if I could get a 70 series I would. But we all have the bug for vintage, arcane Land Cruisers. The 80 is for sure a more comfortable rig and bigger than the 70 series. Awesome everyday, all around vehicle for highway, around town and harsher conditions. I'm not sure the 70 is as wide ranging in it's strengths.

Good luck!

Brian

I sold my 2000 Ram 2500 for my LX450. If the Dodge had been a 12valve 5spd I would have had a tough time with it... I totally LOVE the 80, and like yours, my wife is happy her 3 dogs are now IN the rig too! The things we do for our critters, (both 4 legged and 2)!

Totally agree... :princess: and the dog are much happier...now I just need to figure out how to get the same kinda power in the 80 as I had in the Cummins....hmmm...a Cummins in an 80? ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom