Has anyone successfully traded their truck for a different truck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm mulling over moving on from my truck, I bought it thinking I would go camping and hit trails and do all this other outdoorsy crap that it was made for and I have done absolutely none of that and the way things have changed with my business I will not be doing any of it for the foreseeable future. Bought her in October of 2021 and I'm probably 30k all in at this point, I'll never get anywhere close to what I put into her but it just is what it is, I'm going to take a big giant wet sloppy L.

Thinking to switch to a 200 series as my daily and was thinking in this case it may be beneficial to do a trade simply because another cruiser guy would more appreciate what I have instead of dropping her on the open market and dealing with a million people asking me if she's triple locked after reading half a slee article as if they are going to use her as a mountain goat or something.

Anyone have any good experiences going the trade route or am I better off just selling as normal and buying?

Yes. I traded a nice 93 triple locked for 2017 4Runner limited. Liked the 4runner so much I sold it and bought a 2023 4runner. You just need to find the right person. With that being said, I still have a 80.

Yes. I traded a nice 93 triple locked for 2017 4Runner limited. Liked the 4runner so much I sold it and bought a 2023 4runner. You just need to find the right person. With that being said, I still have a 80.

Did you just post it generally online looking to specifically trade or did it just work out that way?

Well, if your's is Triple Locked, I may be interested... 😂 Just joking.

Anything is possible, I just initiated a three-way deal. Buying someone else's project, so they can get their dream rig.

I have traded an 80 series in a deal for my Tundra camper, a BJ40 for a Tacoma, and just recently traded a Jeep for a Ford Tractor. I still have an 80 and a 45 though. I posted them on here and some on FBM. I also looked over multiple adds of people selling what I wanted and made trade offers. It really takes patience and finding the right person and trade.

Last edited:
Maybe put up a trade add in the 200 series for sale section? Just because you bought it thinking you'd use it for camping, it can still serve doing 200 series duties around town. It can't be that much less gas efficient than a 200 and while it may not have as much creature comforts, it is still a very functional vehicle. Keeping it and just changing the intended use helps spread out the return of investment you have put into it. The 200 series will still be around and likely cheaper in a few years and your 80 will not likely have depreciated much if at all. I am sure you have thought of this already but it is the 80 section so someone has to so to keep it :)

Maybe put up a trade add in the 200 series for sale section? Just because you bought it thinking you'd use it for camping, it can still serve doing 200 series duties around town. It can't be that much less gas efficient than a 200 and while it may not have as much creature comforts, it is still a very functional vehicle. Keeping it and just changing the intended use helps spread out the return of investment you have put into it. The 200 series will still be around and likely cheaper in a few years and your 80 will not likely have depreciated much if at all. I am sure you have thought of this already but it is the 80 section so someone has to so to keep it :)

Valid points and that's exactly what I'm doing it's my daily driver, even though it's all built up. It's not about gas, it's 26 years old and I'm driving it like it's some new disposable daily vehicle. Not to say that a 200 series is disposable but it's much more viable than daily driving a 26 year old collectible vehicle beyond the comforts and part availability.....it just seems wrong like I'm wasting it.

Regardless nothing is set in stone just mulling it over, was actually thinking about a 100 series but seeing how much the first models 200 series have dropped and how much 100 series have risen they are not too far off....

I got a Micheal Jordan rookie and 2 foil charizards if your interested 🤣 🤣 🤣

was thinking in this case it may be beneficial to do a trade simply because another cruiser guy would more appreciate what I have instead of dropping her on the open market and dealing with a million people asking me if she's triple locked

In my experience offering a vehicle for trade will really bring the stupid questions and offers out of the woodwork.

Want to trade for a 97 Ford ranger and 2 handguns?..... Expect offers like this all day long if you list your rig for trade on anything like, ksl, facebook, or craigslist.

It might be kind of fun, who knows what kind of stolen property you could end up with 😆 🤣 😂

Last edited:
I got a Micheal Jordan rookie and 2 foil charizards if you your interested 🤣 🤣 🤣

In my experience offering a vehicle for trade will really bring the stupid questions and offers out of the woodwork.

Want to trade for a 97 Ford ranger and 2 handguns?..... Expect offers like this all day long if you list your rig for trade on anything like, ksl, facebook, or craigslist.

It might be kind of fun, who knows what kind of stolen property you could end up with 😆 🤣 😂

No thanks I got some charizards!

You're right, when I sold my old one I wasn't even asking for trades and I sure got some goofball offers....

keep the 80, buy a used GX

keep the 80, buy a used GX

I don't want two trucks, I already have a fun car I don't want a third car. Two is messy enough for me.

I had a 2016 and a 2020 GX, amazing trucks silly reliable and so nice to drive but I'm not sure if I want another one. They're not timeless to me, an old GX is just an old car to me whereas there is no such thing as an "old" LC or LX. Just my opinion, I wouldn't turn one down at a steal....again great trucks.

They're actually about to redesign it and if cars go back to normal perhaps I'll hack another lease but that may not be for a long while.

Don't overthink it. I understand your perspective a great deal and wasted much $$ constantly buying and selling. You will feel guilty "wasting" a well loved and passion project for your work vehicle, as well as wasteful for having more cars than you can effectively use. The reality is you will likely get bored with anything less. That may be what led you to this position in the first place. If the truck works and you like it, just remind yourself it's just a car and meant to be enjoyed.

Please excuse my entirely unsolicited 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom