Has anyone serviced their ow transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm in the process of baselining my 400,000km 99 lx470.

When i got it the transmission fluid was very nasty and burnt looking. I've dumped it and put in synthetic. Seems to be a bit quieter and shift smoother.

I've bought a kit with a filter to change. This should be pretty straightforward right? Just drop the atf, drop the pan, remove old filter and replace and out it back together and refill.

Do you need to blow out the lines to the transmission cooler? If so is this to get rid of gunk or remove the fluid?

Cheers

Many consider the trans filter part of regular service. once you get the pan off, inspect the magnets in the pan - you'll get an idea of the health of the transmission overall.

Many consider the trans filter part of regular service. once you get the pan off, inspect the magnets in the pan - you'll get an idea of the health of the transmission overall.
Would you install a cork gasket or use FIPG?

I would use the OEM gasket only. for my truck the part number is
35168-60010
but double check that is the right one for you. I use 100% OEM toyota parts for anything, Never use anything from Autozone or any of that type of 3rd party garbage

Would you install a cork gasket or use FIPG?

It's worth mentioning that Toyota went from gasket to FIPG on later models. It's a manufacturing repeatability thing. Properly applied red FIPG will fully seal first time around. Gaskets can weep. FIPG downside is that the pan must be pried off at future service events.

Do you need to blow out the lines to the transmission cooler? If so is this to get rid of gunk or remove the fluid?

I would drain the pan, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, and refill the trans with whatever quantity came out.

Then remove a trans cooler line, start the engine and let the transmission itself pump out the torque converter and cooler lines. After you start the engine, have a helper watch, and after about 2 quarts have drained from the cooler line into your milk jug or bucket, stop the engine, add 2 quarts to the trans, and do it again. Continue this until the fluid coming out of the cooler line is clean and pink.

When you're all done, get the trans hot and fill to the proper dipstick mark.

I've decided to hand this job over to the pros. Technically it's not hard but the time it will take me using the tools and facilities I have make this not worth it for me.

I just did a second flush out of the old trans fluid and at least it's now the right colour.

I've decided to hand this job over to the pros. Technically it's not hard but the time it will take me using the tools and facilities I have make this not worth it for me.

I just did a second flush out of the old trans fluid and at least it's now the right colour.

If you did two flushes you're done. No reason to hand it over to anyone.

What defines a flush? I know nothing about transmission and my wife’s 100 likely has the original transmission fluid…it’s a 2004.

Thanks!

What defines a flush? I know nothing about transmission and my wife’s 100 likely has the original transmission fluid…it’s a 2004.

Thanks!

Changing out the fluid until it runs a clean, clear red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom