Has anyone seen paint fade like this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought this 2000 LX with 168K miles, lived in western WA so not sunny like California, but the paint is faded in a weird way. Actually, I'm not sure if the paint is faded or just the clearcoat. It almost looks as if a chemical were spilled on it, or water spots (def not water spots though)

If it is just the clearcoat, is there anything I can do to buff it out? Is there some kind of uv protectant wax I can put on it to prevent further damage? The truck will be living outside, at least for the foreseeable future. I didn't buy the truck to be pretty, but don't need to trash it unnecessarily either.

IMG_20200116_125136883.jpg

IMG_20200116_124920049_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20200116_125134214.jpg

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it appears that your LX470 may be "Smoky Topaz Mica".

If so, "Smoky Topaz Mica" is known for having some unique issues.

An extreme example:

Another example:

Last edited:
You can very carefully sand away the dead clear and then re-clear, but that's no small task.
Agreed. I tried and got into the paint on my old pickup 😭

Looks like someone got sloppy with a rubber cleaner/conditioner. Some of those are very damaging to paint if left on.

Best is to wet sand and possible need to re shoot clear coat.

But you may see improvement with a Good cleaning, aggressive clay bar, Urethane or lacquer wipe down (don't let puddle or set on paint), aggressive cutting compound with a DA buffer and cut pad, polish and wax. Any good wax will have UV protection.

Agreed. I tried and got into the paint on my old pickup 😭

17 year old me sanded away alllllllll the clear from the roof of my 91 Accord. It turned out great, but I didn't have the funds to reclear it so I just waxed religiously every week. I had a lot of free time back then. I think I spent a solid 60 hours on it one summer and that was just a single, flat panel.

Today, I wouldn't even try it. That's a task for a bored teenager.

Like someone already said, this is a Smokey Topaz Mica specific issue. Been documented a hundred times. Something about that color made them all fail and spot like that. Has nothing to do with clearcoat failure, chemical staining, or paint bubbling. I’ve seen this on northern trucks so it’s not sun/heat related. Yours actually looks okay compared to some that were posted here that looked like they went through an acid bath.

That is clear-coat failure. You can confirm by wetting those areas and IF the paint looks glossy/rejuvenated when wet...it's clear- coat. Nothing you can do about that...but respray.

BUT...also check to see your color. IF you have Smoky Topaz Mica (code 1C2) it is known to have problems with the actual 'pigment' which can produce light colored fade right under the clear-coat.

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it appears that your LX470 may be "Smokey Topaz Mica".

If so, "Smokey Topaz Mica" is known for having some unique issues.

An extreme example:

Another example:

Yup, Smoky Topaz Mica! Darn. I didn't even think it might be color specific with such a normal boring color. Thanks for the links!

Looks like someone got sloppy with a rubber cleaner/conditioner. Some of those are very damaging to paint if left on.

Best is to wet sand and possible need to re shoot clear coat.

But you may see improvement with a Good cleaning, aggressive clay bar, Urethane or lacquer wipe down (don't let puddle or set on paint), aggressive cutting compound with a DA buffer and cut pad, polish and wax. Any good wax will have UV protection.
Thanks for the care tips! Now to wait for it to get dry enough... Maybe April here in rainlandia.

Yup, Smoky Topaz Mica! Darn. I didn't even think it might be color specific with such a normal boring color. Thanks for the links!

I like the color. Mine is starting to do that a little bit on the hood and roof...but I live in Sun Baked Texas. Didn't know about the issue when I bought it...but as for the color itself....the only color I would have preferred over it would be Galactic Gray.
lex42.JPG

lex46.JPG

I like the color. Mine is starting to do that a little bit on the hood and roof...but I live in Sun Baked Texas. Didn't know about the issue when I bought it...but as for the color itself....the only color I would have preferred over it would be Galactic Gray. View attachment 2187090
View attachment 2187092
Nice truck! And I like the Smoky Topaz Mica color too, but I think my favorites are the pearlescent white and beige LX's. They shimmer, and I heard the crushed pearl colors don't fade over time.

The roof picture is something I’ve seen before. As others have said I believe it’s some sort of clear coat failure.

Now as to the cause.. I’m not 100% sure but it may have been caused by tree sap and/or snow that sat on the roof for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom