Has anyone over 6' slept in their 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
Sometimes I would like to just go somewhere without bringing my tent or tent trailer and just be able to climb in the back and go to sleep. However, I'm too tall! Does anyone have any ideas or ways they have overcome this dilema? I remember Drexx saying something about a board and folding down the seats I think. Thanks in advance,

Remove the second row seats. 4 bolts each seat. makes room for about 6'8".
Sean

I'm 6'1" and have slept inside several times, with the rear seat folded up. Corner to corner is just big enough to stretch out. Obviously, this only works for 1, and you must unload the rig to have enough room. I am considering a false floor with an extendable platform so that I can sleep inside routinely.

I've done it a couple of times. 6'3" With the 2nd seat in it sucks. My 60 was much more comfortable even without removing the backseat. We usually run with one side of the seat taken out all of the time. There are just 3 of us and our 2 K9s and it really frees up a lot of space. Another trick if you didn't take the seats out is to prop yourself up slightly and that allows you to gain some room. You know use your C02 tank as a pillow. I woke up one morning at Cruisin the Woods with my head on the C02 tank.

I always pull the 2nd row seat behind the driver - makes more room for a cooler where I can reach it, and digs in the back.

You can also drop the tailgater and close the hatch. a simple tarp strung off the roof to the rear bumper corners will give you some air, a big foot box and plenty of room even if you leave the 2nd row in.

Jim

not sure who makes the but spector off road has them there cool tents that cover the whole top have of the cruiser and leaves it so you can have your tail gate down and your upper tail gate up for more room. also puts screens over your rear windos so you can open them with out bugs. Kinda expensive though.

You can get the same kinda Truck/tent that gives you a nice little screen porch over the rear hatch at Campmor.com for like $100 in the past.

didn't try the following in Cruzer but did it in a van and it worked great.
I have one of these newfangled camping cots based on these newfangled camping chairs, you know the one that folds "vertically" leaving a bundle of tubular rods with some cloth slung around there, the kind that has these sliding attachments on crossing tubular legs ($10 at your local Sportmart etc). Well, this cot is quite high off the ground, over 2' I think, and the head is tilting up some more. Thing looks uncomfortable but is actually very nice. Anyway, when I used this thing in a van, my head would be located over the second row seat when folded, and I was able to leave a lot of stuff on the floor under the cot, and it would fit in a space that was outwardly incapable of holding a 6' guy. May work (or not) in the Cruz...
HTH
Eric

Hello to all, since i'm a newbie!

I bought a really cheap mosquito net at walmart. Opened the rear top and bottom, and strung the net around the end kinda like a cap. Folded the seats up and put the gear on the roof. Worked like a charm in the summer/fall/spring. Haven't tried in the winter. Just be sure you park on level ground! Oh, one other thing, disconnect the interior lights from the back doors, otherwise they will stay on all night.
:beer:

Concrete,

Welcome to the 80/100 section here on ih8mud!

Couldn't you simply turn the rear dome switch to the off position?
-B-

Actually it must be something with the newer ones. My dad's 97 LX450 keeps the interior lights on if you open the rear hatch. I have not found a single way to turn them off other than removing the fuse. Reading the owner's manual at midnight wasn't much fun. Anyone have an easy fix? My 94 and 91 do not have this problem.

I might have posted this before ??? But if I have, bare with me if I have.

http://www.mp-house.com/flatkit.html

As the the name of the link suggests, this company here offers a full-flat kit(yes, you've said it before, it's not completely flat) :flipoff2:

I have also seen a kit for the passenger seat rail which would allow it to go flat, too, to make it even more spacious. Too cool, I know ;)

Anyway, here is a pic of it in an 80 if you don't want to bother with the link(for 80 and 100 step-by-step instructions with pics, even if you can't read Japanese).

:cheers:

mot

How much is the kit?

Thanks for all the replies everyone!! I just need to find some sturdy material, take some measurements, and have my stay-at-home mother-in-law sew me a knock-off SOR wagon tent. She has no grandkids to watch, so she can just make me a wagon tent for my Christmas present!! LOL!! JK!

ginericfj80,

How much are you willing to pay? :D

Just kidding. I didn't know, so I just sent them an e-mail after reading your post.

I'll post it when I find out. But you'll want to be sitting down, I'm sure. ;)

mot

All I can say is don't try sleeping sitting up in the driver's set -- a-la airline style. Did that one night recently and it SUCKED! Legs cramping all night long, no circulation...just sucked. Seemed like a good idea at the time though.

doug

My wife pointed out that there are now 3 of us and that we have two rather large spoiled dogs. I think it is time to forget about the tent thing and move to an off road camper. I've been thinking about this for about 15 months, our son is now 10 months old. My dad runs an Aliner Expedition and it is pretty nice, but not too hardcore. www.aliner.com and we ran into this one this weekend http://www.jayco.com/html/catalog/product.php?prod_id=23 I'm thinking of having one built this winter similiar to the jayco but with skinny 33s on LC wheel pattern. I'm thinking of finding a 10 or 12 foot used one and have a new off road frame built with a high clearance axle and lots of skidplates. Obviously, I wouldn't drag it on the Rubicon Trail, but it could go a lot of places. Also, with the Aliner I sort of became spoiled I loved the AC in Moab this August on our way back from the Colorado trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom