HAS ANYONE HERE REPLACED THERE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace mind and was wanting some input on the best way to change it. It looks easy but getting it disconnected from the wiring harness looks to be rather hard to get to. Just wondering if anyone had a easy way to do it. 1993 fzj80 Pics would be great and links too. Thanks

mmm, best not to shout in the title, especially if you're going to be arousing the spelling Popo...

Before changing it, I would check/inspect the round barrel connector that goes to the NSS located in the PHH area. On my son's 94 we were experiencing transmission and reverse light issues. Found and repaired corroded wires at the barrel connector and problems resolved. FYI, the transmission issue was occasional starts in 2nd gear instead of 1st.

Before changing it, I would check/inspect the round barrel connector that goes to the NSS located in the PHH area. On my son's 94 we were experiencing transmission and reverse light issues. Found and repaired corroded wires at the barrel connector and problems resolved. FYI, the transmission issue was occasional starts in 2nd gear instead of 1st.
Thanks I am having the same issues. How did you get your hands in there to disconnect it. Did you have to remove anything to get to it.

Thanks I am having the same issues. How did you get your hands in there to disconnect it. Did you have to remove anything to get to it.

Remove drivers front tire and rubber inner fender pieces. It's way up right when you get in there.

Remove drivers front tire and rubber inner fender pieces. It's way up right when you get in there.
Thanks I got it disconnect and it was very corroded. One pin is broken and the female end is messed up too. I guess I am going to take off the switch and somehow repair it and also take out the wiring harness on the other end so I can repair the connector end. Thanks for the help.

is the location of the barrel connector the same on a 92 fj80?

Did you clean it? I cleaned mine awhile ago, thinking it was causing my 'D' light to be off.

It's made up of several long, curved contacts of varying length, with two spring-loaded, smaller contacts that bridge the larger ones. It's common (on other vehicles, at least) for gunk to build up and cause malfunction. The two, tiny springs will probably fall out, so watch for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom