1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone here ever raced in the Baja 1000?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Toyminater, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Toyminater

Toyminater

anyone done the baja? I am looking into running in class 7s in the fall of 07 (40th anniversery) any info or advice?

Edit- in a 2 wheel drive Toyota pickup

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    A buddy of mine did a couple years ago on a bike, didn't finish though. It's always been a dream of mine to do it.

3. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

bring plenty of spare parts!

4. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes done the 500, 1000, 2000

Advice
    1 - You cant win if you dont finish
    2 - Your willingness to win should only be superceded by your willingness to perpare to win
    3 - Drive your own race do not be intimidated by others
    4 - Class 7s has about a low finishing rate.....if you finish IN TIME you have a good chance of placing in the top 3.

Good Luck

5. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

Watch the class 11s. The trophy truck guys think the class 11's (unmodified VW bugs) are nuts :D. I wanted to but realized the safety requirements would be too tremendous. Although my dad knows Fish and so we may end up working a checkpoint in 07 or 08 :D

6. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    IIRC class 11 had a 100% finishing rate at the 2000. Truely amazing IMO.

An American will never win class 11. Eric Solorzano (Mexican) is the king of class 11 and Mexico would not permitt an American to win it.

7. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

I have prerun a number of sections in a class II Chenowith. The year I was going to drive a well prepared class 11 car the first driver tried to win. Read above.

In any stock class in the 1000 it is all about using your brain. Don't drive to win, drive to finish. Make sure all of your drivers are committed to finishing even if it is outside the time limit. In stock classes your biggest problem is finishing not winning. In any edurance race you need to know your equipment inside out. If you do you can run in the front half of the pack and not worry about winning. Hlaf of the front of the pack won't finish. If you are smart you will be in a win, place or show position. If you try to lead you will break. You can always win the race in the future.

As stated above, our first driver went out with a meticulusly prepared bug. 200 miles into the race he was passing cars in modified classes. 201 miles into the race he blew up a brake drum. The other class 11 cars passed him and waved an hour latter. That was just poor decision making.

If you can run any other races first, do it. Particularly the night sections. You can not have enough spares, in particular tires. Support personell can make it or break it at 3 am when you have to weld broken bits. There are alot of great people who are always willing to help on the course.

Unfortunately there are also those who will throw a fish net across the course after thier favorite driver passes. Be alert and have fun.

Fly Rod:cheers:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">