has anyone heard of a 42 series pickup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am confused by the vin of a pickup that I purchased. It has a model number of bj42LV-KCJK. But from all that I can see the bj42 had a 90 inch wheel base and never came in a pickup version. I can't seem to find the frame number yet mainly because the frame has been coated, the wheel base seems to be in the 116 range but I haven't measured it accurately. It definitely isn't in the 90 inch range. My thought is that the vehicle was restored and the plates off a 42 was switched. It sort of bothers me not having the right model number plates.

They made BJ44, BJ45 and BJ46 model in different wheels base. BJ42 is just a BJ40 with a 3B. What is interesting when the F went to the 2F they didn't change to FJ41.:meh:

One possibile answer is that someone may have used a 42 cowl to build /restore a 45 and didn't change the plate.

Thanks for the links, I never found such a complete tabulation of the exact years that things were brought into countries. Based on the link my landcruiser should be a short wheel base, left hand drive, hardtop, 4 speed, swing out door, (J), canadian market.

The cruiser I have is a 3b, long wheel base, left hand drive, pickup, 5 speed, .

My conclusion this that it has to have been put back together with a replacement cowl.

thanks for the last link. It also seems that the 3b engine pickup never made it to canada. My conclusion must be that it was a fj45 6/76 to 7/80 converted to a 3b engine with a 5 speed transmission.

I think this makes sense. Thanks .

Thanks for the links, I never found such a complete tabulation of the exact years that things were brought into countries. Based on the link my landcruiser should be a short wheel base, left hand drive, hardtop, 4 speed, swing out door, (J), canadian market.

The cruiser I have is a 3b, long wheel base, left hand drive, pickup, 5 speed, .

My conclusion this that it has to have been put back together with a replacement cowl.

thanks for the last link. It also seems that the 3b engine pickup never made it to canada. My conclusion must be that it was a fj45 6/76 to 7/80 converted to a 3b engine with a 5 speed transmission.

I think this makes sense. Thanks .

The time frame you mentioned could be broke down to between 78 and 79 models by the location of the fuel tank and A pillar. Only found BJ42 and BJ46 with a 3B and five speed. Then only from 10/82 until the end of production for those two models. From searching it's rare for any LWB 45/47 to come from the factory with a Five speed.

I see your from BC is the one your talking about red by chance? I was gonna buy a red one with a 3B swapped in in the spring.

beige, code 464. At least that is the code on the cowl. The tlc was bought in richmond, but I was told it came from the island before. Previous owner was a teacher there.

Ya lets see the pics. Don't see many 45's in BC these days.

Actually there are still alot around. The guy i bought my 45 off of had 2 more. There is also a guy in PG that has 2. They are around more so then here in sask haha

Last edited:
Talk, talk, talk! Type, type, type!! Doesn't anybody in Canada own a dang camera?!!

For cryin' out loud!!!! Post a picture already!

Can't take a picture while driving on road. Big fines and abig bump in insurance rates if you are 'distracted driving'.

Next time I'm in the area I'll see if I can spot them. I know of a red stocker with a bobbed box, light blue with a shortened box and TBI, medium green stocker, and a Forrest green... to name a few. Also knew of a dark blue, but I've not seen it in a few years.

Here's one I only seen pics of local to me

image.jpeg

^^^^^
Didn't someone on here just buy that and post pics of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom