has anyone grafted the rear frame out a third gen into a first gen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Ok im picking a 96 v6 4runner with factory elocker up this weekend for dirt cheap. originaly planned to yank the thirds and everything needed for the elocker. to go in my 86. My buddy and me were talking why cant i put the whole dif out the 96. or even cut rear frame off with the 4 link. and weld it into my 86? or cut the suspension points off the 96 . yank the dif. and use that as basis for a 4link ? anyone got any info or tips for me .

45880203_2421075474587613_74684554949951488_n.jpg

Anything is possible. Seems like the most straightforward thing to do is swap the 3rd, though.

I guess it depends how long you want you rig to be down. Body mounts, gas tank, lengths of the sections of frame you’d be swapping. Bust out the tape measure and see what you come up with.

Wonder if the 86 body would fit on the 96 frame? The title could be interesting.

Uh, what model is it?
Well it's a 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59
Automobile

Frame and dif was rusty as hell. But the third member gears and e locker worked great. Got it yanked yesterday. Pulled the third member elocker comp. Button. All the harness plugs. In 2 weeks buying rock assault housing off a buddy. And just gonna install it in that. All new brakes and brake hardware. And then finally put my old man emu springs in I had since november. Anyone near pa md line Lancaster to Baltimore. Looking for 96 parts. Interior is mold infested but body is good motor good trans t case good. Has 3.4 v6

20190323_140442.jpg

20190323_140430.jpg

20190323_140435.jpg

Good move. I think you are saving yourself lots of headache this way.

Scooped up an elocker rear drum to drum for my 85 at the yard a while back for $125. Looking forward to putting it in soon and getting rid of that ill acting lock right in the rear.

So are ya gonna rip out that 3.4L and swap it in your first gen?

I've pondered putting the later coil/linkage rear suspension under my '88 Wish that I could do the 3.4 swap here in KA.

Wish that I could do the 3.4 swap here in KA.

I always thought you could do a swap like that as long as the donor motor is from a newer year vehicle? I would think the pollution control is better on the 3.4 than the 2.4 or 3.0?

I always thought you could do a swap like that as long as the donor motor is from a newer year vehicle? I would think the pollution control is better on the 3.4 than the 2.4 or 3.0?
It would need to come over complete, right down to the exhaust. I suspect it could be done, with the only challenge the exhaust and the cats.

[hijack] From the front-most emissions control device in the intake to the last such device in the exhaust has to be either OEM or a part covered by a CARB E.O. number. Right side exhaust and right side front drive-shaft seem mutually exclusive, especially since the exhaust can't be modified in any way. A right to left exhaust cross-over covered by an E.O. number would make it far more possible. The carpet bagger uber-liberals have screwed up what used to be a great State, time to move. [/hijack]

In what vintage trucks? When were the swaps done? CARB changed the rules not long ago. Show us some links. Every such swap that I found, only a few, skated on thin ice hoping that the Ref didn't pick-up on the cross-over issue. Hell of a lot of effort and expense to hope that the Ref misses something.

To give out of State folks an idea of what it has come to; my '88 didn't pass visual inspection because one of the hoses between the air meter and the throttle body had cracked. It was repaired prior to my buying it with a self-vulcanizing tape, which worked and sealed fine but didn't pass because "it had been modified".

Sorry to the OP, I'm done hijacking this thread.

In what vintage trucks? When were the swaps done? CARB changed the rules not long ago. Show us some links. Every such swap that I found, only a few, skated on thin ice hoping that the Ref didn't pick-up on the cross-over issue. Hell of a lot of effort and expense to hope that the Ref misses something.

To give out of State folks an idea of what it has come to; my '88 didn't pass visual inspection because one of the hoses between the air meter and the throttle body had cracked. It was repaired prior to my buying it with a self-vulcanizing tape, which worked and sealed fine but didn't pass because "it had been modified".

Sorry to the OP, I'm done hijacking this thread.

And this is why I love Arizona...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom