Has anyone ever put an FJZ engine in an FJ-60 with H55F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This question is really for my brother, who has the other thread going on engine swaps. But I am curious as well. My brother #1 has his 87 FJ60 with a cracked block. It has a nearly brand new H55 five speed and transfer case.

My other brother #2 has a recently redone FJZ engine in his 93 FJZ80. Rebuilt head, new injectors, all kinds of stuff. On the first trip out it was rolled. So the motor has probably just a couple of hundred miles on it since the rebuild.

I think Brother #1 should get one of those new FJCO adapters and put that FJZ engine in his 60. But as much as I searched I could not find anyone that had done an FJZ engine swap with one of those FJCO adapters. In fact, I couldn't really find anyone that had put an FJZ engine in any sort of configuration in a 60.

So has it been done? Is it even possible? Is it just to expensive, even if you have access to recently rebuilt engine?

Thanks

Last edited:
After reading that thread it certainly sounds complicated. It sounds like you may need a new computer from a manual FJZ, among other things. It would probably be easier just swap his 60 body on the rolled 80 chassis. But then that doesn't really take advantage of his nice new five speed.

That engine swap (in my opinion) is more trouble than it's worth.
Just get another used 2F and have it rebuilt if it's thrashed

Yes it can be done. Fj Company lists the clutch parts to use with their bell housing to a 1FZ. Use their list as a starting point. The following list is pretty much the usual list for any swap into a 60

1. Route/mount wiring harness/ecu into existing cluster/fusebox.
2. Custom engine mounts to frame
3. Fuel pump (in-tank or in-line)
4. Convert pedal linkage to throttle cable
5. Radiator/fan/hose configuration
6. Exhaust configuration
7. Clutch hardline/softline routing
8. Potential rerouting of brake lines for exhaust configuration

You are lucky because 60's are extremely easy vehicles to swap any engine into. Vortec/LS based is the most popular with the most swap support. Next being the R2.8. Toyota engine swaps into a 60 aren't as common as most don't want to deal with the hassle of adapting all the bits and bobs. If you are the mechanic doing the work - then continue researching. The swap is only as good as the quality of work. The more original you want it to be, the more work /adapting required. Toyota has a LOT in common across platforms. I've found a lot and ways to ease 1FZ/UZ swaps but they still require a lot of work. Most folks just chatter and chatter about potential swaps, but rarely anyone completes.

If it is a shop doing the work....expect $10k+ in labor. Swaps aren't cheap, so don't waste your time if you don't have the loose change.

As an alternate consider the GM 4200 engine. Its an inline 6, 4.2 liter, found in multiple GM platforms like the Envoy and can be aquired for low money. You do need to make an adapter plate for a 5 speed but there is a thread on it already. The engine makes make torque at 1600 rpm iirc, can be turbo charged for more power than is needed in an FJ60 etc.

Yes it can be done. Fj Company lists the clutch parts to use with their bell housing to a 1FZ. Use their list as a starting point. The following list is pretty much the usual list for any swap into a 60

1. Route/mount wiring harness/ecu into existing cluster/fusebox.
2. Custom engine mounts to frame
3. Fuel pump (in-tank or in-line)
4. Convert pedal linkage to throttle cable
5. Radiator/fan/hose configuration
6. Exhaust configuration
7. Clutch hardline/softline routing
8. Potential rerouting of brake lines for exhaust configuration

You are lucky because 60's are extremely easy vehicles to swap any engine into. Vortec/LS based is the most popular with the most swap support. Next being the R2.8. Toyota engine swaps into a 60 aren't as common as most don't want to deal with the hassle of adapting all the bits and bobs. If you are the mechanic doing the work - then continue researching. The swap is only as good as the quality of work. The more original you want it to be, the more work /adapting required. Toyota has a LOT in common across platforms. I've found a lot and ways to ease 1FZ/UZ swaps but they still require a lot of work. Most folks just chatter and chatter about potential swaps, but rarely anyone completes.

If it is a shop doing the work....expect $10k+ in labor. Swaps aren't cheap, so don't waste your time if you don't have the loose change.

Thanks, this is all good advice. It sounds like the 1FZ swap is not necessarily more complicated than an LS or other V8 swap, but because it is uncommon it is something that would take a lot of careful planning.

For example, I know that with the Marks Bellhousing Adapter you can do a V8 swap while keeping the H55F in the factory location--- and thus avoiding all that work of dealing with transmission mounts, shifters and drivelines. And of course they supply the engine mounts that will work with this combination.

But would that be true with the FJCO adapter? Can you use the FJCO adapter to the 1FZ engine and keep the H55F in the stock location? That seems like something we wouldn't know until it was tried.

That engine swap (in my opinion) is more trouble than it's worth.
Just get another used 2F and have it rebuilt if it's thrashed

In a sense I agree with you. I think it would be awesome to get a Mosley 2F + Holley EFI. That is really ideal in a 60. The trouble is that they a back ordered for a year, and they cost 10K.

Meanwhile, this recently rebuilt 1FZ is sitting in my brothers driveway waiting to be rescued.

Take those two facts into account and it becomes a closer question. If it can be really done.

You could run the 1FZ on an aftermarket computer (Haltech, Holley, etc) and put the manual trans behind that.

Modern engine management systems seem to be adding 20+ HP to these with no other changes, which puts it close to a 2UZ. Switch to a coil pack ignition and likely get a little more.

We’ve got something similar coming up soon and anticipate that sparking a wave of interest.

In the end, you are still doing an engine swap so will be modifying all aspects of the structural, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical. So not cheap, if your time is valuable. Would be super cool tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom