Has anyone done this to a 60 or 62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

interesting...

sweet!

Doesnt look like it'd be that hard either - 60 roofs are pretty flimsy, no?

These threads involving a pop-up roof, always end with someone saying that a vw camper's top will work, but no one ends up knowing for sure. I think its about time we find out.

On that note

I figure its all flat pieces, easier said than done. What do you guys think. Say fab it up with cardboard to get the correct angles and roof radius's. Maybe a box frame on the inside that the panels attach to. Have it rest on the roof.

The last major thing being cutting a hole in the roof. and capping it on the inside.

Fabricators, can you advise?

kinda, but not so blingy.
natuurlijkafrika-01-sm.jpg
natuurlijkafrika-03.jpg

innen-2.jpg

ok now that cool !! I wonder were I could get a cheap top to try it on :D

I have sketch books full of drawings and designs for eventually doing this to my truck, but no, I have never seen a clean, well integrated 60 series pop-top anywhere near as slick as the one at the top of the page.
If anyone has, I would love to see it.
There is a lot out there on 70 series, and I have seen couple on 60s, but very poorly integrated.
This is definitely on the long term mod list.

Links:
Willkommen bei Innovation Campers!
Tom’s Fahrzeugtechnik 06 Gebrauchtfahrzeuge
Ex-Tec Expeditions- und Rallye-Technik - Werkstatt
Translated version of http://www.desert-tec.de/

And a collection of photos I have shamelessly stolen from the web.

Last edited:
i can't remember where i stole those photos from.

on here i think.

I found the pics that bigbrown posted about a year or two ago on their website. They are a Dutch couple (I think....) and I got to their website from a links page on another site that I can't remember or find right now. will post an answer if I find it... (edit) Here is the link Natuurlijk Afrika Hope you read Dutch well....

It is a Westfalla (VW) top that they spliced onto their cruiser.

Blue 60

ok so this doesn't look all that difficult. looks like an aluminum frame and box. anybody work with aluminum or have some scraps for a prototype?

then just some heave tent material. we could brainstorm a prototype.

I am getting pretty good with aluminum these days, but I can tell you that the fab work there is high quality stuff.
If you notice with the 100 they had the luxury of a reinforced roof (from the sunroof option) and heavy duty factory mounts for the OE roof rack. If you look close at the pics you can see how they used aluminum angle mounted to the rack mounts and then welded the frame to it. The frame is the easy part, that nice skin on the outside took some skill.
I have studied a lot of pop top pictures, and that 100 is one of the slickest I have seen.

I have also looked closely at the Element pop top, nicely done. They actually leave the entire roof in place and use the sun roof as an access hatch to the tent. Simplifies it a bit, but you loose the ability to stand up inside the truck, which would be o-so-cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom