Has anyone done a coilover conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
winchstoyotaparts.yolasite.com
I cut the IFS off my Tacoma today and are doing SAS using an FZJ80 axle. I'm thinking about using coilover springs instead of the stock lancruiser coils and shocks for better flex. My question is how much will I have to modify the coil mount bracket on top of the axle to accept the coilover spring? Thanks

I did a coilover conversion on my Jeep XJ. Its a similar suspension setup. My semi-educated guess on coilovers on the front of a FZJ80 would be to remove the coil mount altogether and build a shock hoop/ tab setup. Longer travel and more clearance being the two reasons.
Coilover mounts use a high misalignment/rod end style mount that needs like a 1" tab setup.

I havent looked at the underneath of the LC in that light, but I know unless someone makes a kit, the cheapest and easiest route is new shock hoops/tabs.

done.jpg

P9190010.JPG

Last edited:
Winch said:
I cut the IFS off my Tacoma today and are doing SAS using an FZJ80 axle. I'm thinking about using coilover springs instead of the stock lancruiser coils and shocks for better flex. My question is how much will I have to modify the coil mount bracket on top of the axle to accept the coilover spring? Thanks

You may find better results over in HC... But a "coil-over" doesn’t mount into a bucket of any kind... They mount to tabs, so the 80 buckets would be plasma'd off, tabs and hoops would need to be fab'd and you run the shock... The real question lies in what length shock to run vs. placement of the shock = travel you will get.

Have fun...

-Ammo

Last edited:
the_owl said:
I did a coilover conversion on my Jeep XJ. Its a similar suspension setup. My semi-educated guess on coilovers on the front of a FZJ80 would be to remove the coil mount altogether and build a shock hoop/ tab setup. Longer travel and more clearance being the two reasons.
Coilover mounts use a high misalignment/rod end style mount that needs like a 1" tab setup.

I havent looked at the underneath of the LC in that light, but I know unless someone makes a kit, the cheapest and easiest route is new shock hoops/tabs.

I was scrolling through looking at the pretty pictures and not reading and I was thinking to myself, "HEY, I've seen that Jeep before!"

Small world(Ary here from NAXJA).

Have you seen the light on Toyotas? or what?

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:
I was scrolling through looking at the pretty pictures and not reading and I was thinking to myself, "HEY, I've seen that Jeep before!"

Small world(Ary here from NAXJA).

Have you seen the light on Toyotas? or what?

Ary

Haha I guess I have. Ive always loved the LCs and I finally realized after another wasted summer of no wheeling, that my XJ will always be a driveway project.
I think I remember you selling your XJ parts on POR a while back

the_owl said:
Haha I guess I have. Ive always loved the LCs and I finally realized after another wasted summer of no wheeling, that my XJ will always be a driveway project.
I think I remember you selling your XJ parts on POR a while back

Yeah, I sold the XJ in November of last year and got out of the whole scene for a bit(needed to focus on school).

Then I started 'wheelin the 80 and realized how awesome they are :D

Glad to see you around. Dave Nay is around here now too. :)

the_owl said:

Thanks guys. Thats exactly what I needed to know. I like those coilovers. Would a 14" travel at about 20 to 34 inches be what I need for fitting 37" MTR's?

Winch said:
Thanks guys. Thats exactly what I needed to know. I like those coilovers. Would a 14" travel at about 20 to 34 inches be what I need for fitting 37" MTR's?

One more question. Does anyone have a picture handy of the stock draglink shock's (steering shock) mounting point behind the radiator?

Winch said:

should.
Don't forget limiting straps and try and rig up a sway. Coilovers WILL give you that floppy feeling when they unload.

80's and rovers are pretty heavy for most coilovers.

z80 said:
should.
Don't forget limiting straps and try and rig up a sway. Coilovers WILL give you that floppy feeling when they unload.

80's and rovers are pretty heavy for most coilovers.

I belive this is a SAS 80 ft swap into a Taco... Just a thought but might get more help on...http://www.ttora-socal.com/

Or a site that deals with Taco's...

Good luck!

-Ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom