Has anyone completely re painted a lx470? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
if so, how much did it run. Clear coat is shot to hell on this one. 99 lx470.

Couple guys here have done it, I don't recall if it was for fixing peeling original paint though. There's a a few satin/flat paint jobs, vinyl wrap and bedliner coats on members rides. eally comes down to how much prep work/man hours are needed, the quality of paint used and quality of actual paint job is desired. Can range from a couple hundred bucks on a cheap quick paint job, to several thousand bucks for a quality job - so there's no straight answer for this. Other options are out there too - stuff like vinyl wraps or plasti dip, but they are temporary and only last a few years. I'd guess a decent paint job on a 100 series would start at like $3k, it's a big vehicle.

The reason I'm asking is because im looking at a 99 lx470 that is the nightmare color smoky topaz. Paint is beyond repair. The rest of the truck looks pretty good. No rust. 194k miles. Inside is in good shape. Does need the timing and water pump done. 2 owners. Only has center locker. Does not have rear. Anyone got any opinions on what something like this is worth. It's bone stock.

I had our LX 470 painted probably 3/4 of the way... Top, sides, rear deck and doors. Didn't have the hood, front fenders and bumper painted since they had been done recently. I believe we had the Smokey Topaz (or something like that.) We ended up paying about 3K for that by a Lexus certified body shop. FWIW. There was some prep work, but not much. (flaking mirrors and a small dent)

The reason I'm asking is because im looking at a 99 lx470. The rest of the truck looks pretty good. No rust. 194k miles. Only has center locker. Does not have rear. Anyone got any opinions on what something like this is worth. It's bone stock.

Just in case you're looking for a 99 LX with a rear locker... That was never an option on the LX.

Quality paint and bodywork is expensive. I would find another LC if you're even considering having a '99 w 194K miles painted. A quality paint job will easily cost more than the LC itself.

I Didn't know, I have a 99 LC and it has center and rear so I figured this 99 would be the same. So 4k is too much for the truck?

Just in case you're looking for a 99 LX with a rear locker... That was never an option on the LX.

Correction, it was never an option in the US but available from Canadian market LXs

I would say 4K is sorta in the ballpark. Add 3K to it for the paint, and you are at a decent price. If you can get them down to 3.5K, I would seriously think about it. I myself wouldn't pay more than 6K for a '99 LX with those miles though.

I am in the process of re-painting one of my LX's. Going the rattle can / bedliner route as it is a trail rig. When it comes to painting, it suddenly becomes a much bigger rig.

I may just buy it for parts and swap the interior out with my lc. My LC interior is in rough shape but good body and slee suspension. Except the damn gas gauge doesn't work. Anyone had problems with the gas gauge?

One thing about it is that it has 0 rust. That's a plus, it's a tough call. May wrap it in Kryptek and use it for a hunting rig.

I have a Canadian Delivery LX in San Diego with Factory rear lockers. Thought it was interesting. I didn't know they came this way either!

Did mine 2 years ago with the current Military Tan paint.

SIDE2.jpg

IMG_2879.JPG

I'm in LA. My 99 LC is at Maaco right now for the mid-tier 3-tone paint job which will run $2,300K. Any other option was either super cheap or in the $5-6K range. I visited 4 different shops to not only price compare, but take a peek at the shop and painted vehicles in the lot. I figure it will last long enough and be good enough quality for my needs.

Got the truck with peeling clearcoat so I knew it needed paint, but everything else was great so I pulled the trigger.

I'm in LA. My 99 LC is at Maaco right now for the mid-tier 3-tone paint job which will run $2,300K. Any other option was either super cheap or in the $5-6K range. I visited 4 different shops to not only price compare, but take a peek at the shop and painted vehicles in the lot. I figure it will last long enough and be good enough quality for my needs.

Got the truck with peeling clearcoat so I knew it needed paint, but everything else was great so I pulled the trigger.

My car is probably similar - 99 - no rust - paint mostly good but clear coat gone in places - keen to address it. I am assuming that clear coat can be repaired without repainting. If so what is typical cost of fixing the clear coat ?

Thx

Paging @kelly saad since I have seem pics of his handy work before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom