Has anyone changed the pinion seals in a 1971 FJ40? Do you know if that year had crush sleeves or solid spacers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone changed the pinion seals in a 1971 FJ40? Do you know if that year had crush sleeves or solid spacers? My differential is dripping from the drain bolt and I think it’s the pinion seal. All the posts on changing the seal have me scurred. Any tips or words of advice? Also I’m seeing oil under the housing around this big gear/flywheel thing under the truck? What could be leaking ?thanks

975C8E2C-9C60-4569-A46F-D51641521BBF.jpeg

5FBE5AFF-9F38-4B3A-952A-DBE206B9D5DF.jpeg

AF31EB4C-53CB-459D-A33B-B9BCD045DACE.jpeg

What does the front of your flywheel look like?

You can usually feel the difference between motor oil and gear oil when you rub it between your thumb and finger.

As far as the drain plug on the diff, you’re going to pull it before you do the pinion seal, so you can just go ahead and install a new crush washer on it and chalk it off the list.

With the oil, you shouldn't have any trouble removing the diff drain plug, but if you do, a 15/16" socket is a tad smaller than a 24mm so makes for a more snug fit - helps to avoid rounding the corners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom