Has anyone added this to their 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Mul-T-Lock discussion that we had a few days ago got me thinking about some way to switch the shift interlock via a hidden or a dash switch. If the hidden switch is not activated the truck would act like it had a burned tail light and the shifter would not come out of Park. This would be like a poor man's Mul-T-Lock.

Any thoughts?

-B-

Can you direct me to the Mutli Lock tread, I missed it and am VERY interested.

But to your idea, you can bypass the shift lock by removing the plug on the console and sticking a key in it. Mine is permently disabled(with a zip tie)......I hate that crap.

B,
If I leave my truck at the airport, besides turning the battery switch (which determines which batt sends power to the starter) to off, I pull the 7.5A IGN fuse and do a few other quick things. Would be a pain to do this stuff all the time, but is likely to be enough of a deterrant to persuade someone to take a non-beater edition instead of mine.

John,

>> But to your idea, you can bypass the shift lock by removing the plug on the console and sticking a key in it. <<

You and I know this but would the average auto thief? You saw the other thread and asked where the guy bought his. Short memory? :D

Junk,
Mine has the factory alarm but I was looking at those Mul-T-Locks thinking that would be another easy level of protection. It seems like more and more trucks with accessories are being stolen in our area and they probably cross the Mexican border before daylight.

-B-

The only issue with disabling the truck with a switch is if you want a theft deterrant from keeping the thief from even trying vs. succeeding to steal your junk.
That theft lock switch might work kinda like the club (an otherwise worthless POS). If the would be thief sees it they might not break in to try to take something.
My theft deterrant, like Junk's, was to take my truck out in the woods until no self-respecting thief would want it, especially for parts.
I think most car thieves with enough knowledge to try and start a modern car would know about a stock shift lock bypass. I have to move cars with dead batteries all the time and it's not hard to find the bypass on most of them. They are pretty easy to bypass if you don't care about the console even if they don't have a switch of some kind.

I sat down the other day at work with the electrical manual , and started piecing together a security thingamabob . I started stringing relays together . Each on opened by the activation of some interior control such as the hazards , wipers , etc etc . Seemed pretty easy to string 3 together in sequence so that you have to activate the correct 3 items before the ignition switch could be closed . I felt for this to be effective though , I'd have to tap into the ignition circuit way downstream where it would be less obvious , as well as hiding the cluster of relays ... just something I've been mulling over for a while . For an easier idea , use a magnetic reed switch hidden behind the dash etc . Use a magnet on your keychain to activate the switch , which in turn trips a relay that provides continuity to the ignition circuit .

I'm new at all this so if this seems like a BS idea I might not be too surprised .. *L*

I just keep a for sale sign in the window of mine that says " For sale $5000 or best offer, needs head gasket, transmission work and some electrical problems from flood damage" along with the wrong phone #. That way I can even leave the keys in it and no one wants to take it. ;)

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=9559;start=msg83915#msg83915 date=1073143199]
I just keep a for sale sign in the window of mine that says " For sale $5000 or best offer, needs head gasket, transmission work and some electrical problems from flood damage" along with the wrong phone #. That way I can even leave the keys in it and no one wants to take it. ;)
[/quote]

I like it :D add to the sign, "skunk died inside"

or a sign that says "snake on-board" :D

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=9559;start=msg83915#msg83915 date=1073143199]
[/quote]

Priceless! Only way it could be less appealing to a theif would be if it had a Daewoo emblem on the back.

How about

"Ozone treatment in progress, the dead body smell should be gone after that"

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9559;start=msg83987#msg83987 date=1073152454]
How about

"Ozone treatment in progress, the dead body smell should be gone after that"
[/quote]

I was driving dads Dodge years ago, a friend had givin me a bunch of fresh halibat........somehow a bag must have slid under the seat......MONTHS latter we found it....and traded it in......the smell was never gonna go away :D dead body would have only improved the smell ;)

I just electrify the truck like on Robocop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom