Has anybody put their subtank on the roof? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another issue to review would be the occurrence of condensation in a roof-mounted fuel tank. This tank would have more tendency to go through dewpoint temperature change at least twice per day and may result in a fair amount of condensation building up in the tank, especially if it is unused for 2-3 weeks at a time. You MAY have to drain the tank each time before filling to remove the condensation that has occurred. The tank on the roof will tend to heat up and vent and cool down to draw fresh air more often and at greater rates than one mounted in the shade under the truck.

It sounded like a good idea, but I think there are better alternatives. Good to bring out and discuss all options though.

I recently saw a RotopaX looking thing on a Jeep that was mounted behind the spare tire that hangs on the rear and it would hold 10 gal. of fuel. (Between the spare and the truck, molded to fit plastic kind of thing) AEV Fuel Caddy | Murchison Products - Full Mechanical Work, Premium Suspension Systems, Bull Bars, Wheels, Accessories for Jeep, Dodge Ram, 4x4's

And there are batteries like a group 31 that would be able to power radios for several days without needing to charged.

This idea is uncommon not because its difficult or expensive. Its just not the best solution to your needs. Forget about the rear winch.. As already mentioned you will probably use it WAY less ( never) than an additional tank. Yeah its cool to say you have one. If your SAR Im assuming when your actually "out" your probably in contact with others or with more than one truck. I do a reasonable amount of backcountry stuff alone and have only used my front winch once. Im not afraid to go way back in on rough roads but If I was to get in to a situation where i needed the rear I shouldve use a lot more common sense. Put the subtank where it belongs. i have two of them and use them frequently- maybe more than any other add on. you want it someplace where if it leaks its trivial. Mine started leaking while out it the field 3 hours back on rough roads. How would you sort that out?

Just because youve had hundreds of pounds of lumber on your roof and everything survived doesn't mean you will have the same result if your forced into an evasive action at highway speeds. Comparing to an aircraft is irrelevant. forces are different, accidents catastrophic, etc.

Whilst not being swayed in any way about the tank on the roof, and assuming the OP goes with his plan outlined above, I would make a change to the connections to the tank.

Connections to the bottom of a tank full of fuel is not good, if you get a leak then the implications are obvious. I agree gravity can be a friend, it can be your enemy as well. I would arrange to have the fuel connections in the top of the tank. You will either need to start a syphon or run a 12v pump, it would only need to self prime the distance of the tank height. If nothing else a simple connection leak need not turn into a disaster scenario.

All connections/vents/level sender could all enter ftom the top, less chance of being damaged during mounting and dismounting the tank.

Regards

Dave

View attachment 1516802

You know, I had completely forgotten about using those back in the day, I wonder if they are still dumping them off as military surplus? Probably be a diesel setup these days, but that could be changed easy enough ...as could the trailer hitch...hmmmmm...

we use them for water LOL

We still had 'em for mogas in the early 80's!

Really though- why not a trailer? The aussies make some bitching expo/camping trailers with great hitches, suspension, and ground clearance, and everything could be on there and ready to go if/when the SHTF. No dead weight on the daily commute, fill up with fresh fuel before the storm, leave it at a substation or staging point if necessary.

Hmmm....:)

Last edited:
we use them for water LOL
We still have them! I just "passsed" on one that the tank was removed from.....$250. Look online for your nearest military base, and call to inquire about their DRMO sales. Any military equipment we use, the public can buy, except weapons obviously! As far as the tongue goes..... mount a Clevis! A lot more reliable than a cheap ass ball Hitch.

I have a clevis/ball combo right now but it will have to be removed when the 4x4 Labs bumper goes on. I think there is a clevis mount made for a 2 inch hitch though, that would probably get it done. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom