Has anybody, anywhere, seen a cruiser switch like this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody, anywhere, seen a cruiser electrical switch like this, PLEASE LOOK

Has anybody seen a 100 series cruiser switch like this? This is a switch from an 80 series I think, it is a rear window demist switch I think, the thing about it is that it has a light which comes on when it is pressed in, showing that the switch is turned on.

This is the feature that I am chasing in a 100 series switch. I don't care what the switch is for, as long as it has the light that comes on next to it when it is pressed in. It also must stay in, like a sub fuel switch, or an idle up switch, in other words I want a switch that when pressed in, it stays in, and it also has an indicator lamp to show it is turned on.
But wait there's more, it has to be an individual switch similar to the pictured one, not a switch which is part of the 4 switches in a bank below the air conditioner controls (as these switches are part of a circuit board assembly).

EDIT I have just added a 100 series sub fuel switch for comparison, I need a switch this shape with the extra light.

I don't care what it says on the switch.I don't care if it is from a Camry, or any other vehicle, as long it is the same size/shape as the standard 100 series switches, I don't care if it comes from the US spec or UK spec or UAE spec or anywhere. Please let me know if you have seen one.
Thanks in advance

100 TD
switch1.jpg
Switch Sub fuel.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't looked at eBAY US, but will have a scan, the thing is I don't know what I'm looking for, I was hoping that someone with a 100 series has a switch on their dash or console for a seat heater or something like that, that has the extra light. Once someone identifies a switch I will buy one new, but I have to find what one is first. I have looked at lots of vehicles in car lots and stopped people in parking lots "for a quick look at their dash/console", but haven't found one yet. I maybe looking in the wrong vehicles or Australian ones don't have it, or they don't make one at all. I'm hoping someone has a switch in their vehicle somewhere that does something which has an extra light!

Last edited:
Is the switch a push in and stay in, and pusk again and it pops out, or does it pop out each time you push it. I expect yours would have 2 lights, HI and Lo possibly?

Yep, this thing stays on untill you turn the car off I think. Thats the rear glass defrost, it is left lower on the main dash below the AC stuff.

the seat heater switch has one light in the center for either on or off. it is one where you push in either end, one for "high" one for "low" seat heat. it stays in that position until you push it off.

joshuaham said:
Is that not a rear window defrost?

joshuaham said:
Yep, this thing stays on untill you turn the car off I think. Thats the rear glass defrost, it is left lower on the main dash below the AC stuff.

Yes it is, please read the first post.

not a switch which is part of the 4 switches in a bank below the air conditioner controls (as these switches are part of a circuit board assembly).

jjbodean1970 said:
the seat heater switch has one light in the center for either on or off. it is one where you push in either end, one for "high" one for "low" seat heat. it stays in that position until you push it off.

Thanks jjbodean,

As stated above with photos, I'm chasing a pushbutton switch (not a rocker switch) with light to signify the switch is pressed in. Thanks for your thoughts.
100 TD

Power heater switch

Could you use a Power Heater switch maybe?
Used on HDJ100 (T-diesel). It comes on when pushed and stays on until you turn ignition off, or press it again; and has a light in it. Is located in the left cluster (Oh, OZ!, that's on LHD), above mirror control switch.
This switch has 4 connectors:

E for earth (According to the E. W. Diagram)
SW for switch (connected to Viscous Heater Amplifier)
Ind- for light (Conn. to Viscous Heater Amp, Lamp terminal)
Ind+ for light (Conn. to +12v via PH fuse and IG1 No.2 relay)

The diagram calls the switch "Power Heater Sw [Idle-up Sw]"

Last edited:
Thanks uHu,

The switch you mention seems like the one I have found below......... although from your description your switch is a momentry pushbutton, that is, when you push it, it comes back out, is this correct, the one I want, stays in when pushed, until you push it again.

Have just found a "Switch Assy, Heter" (spelling in the toyota parts catalogue downloded from the 80 series forum) from the European section in the parts area, that appears to have an extra light, part numbers are 87290-60050 and 87290-60060.........these suit different years of the HDJ-101 vehicle in Europe I expect. I would love to find someone in Europe that has this switch and can confirm the operation.

The Australian "idle up" switch on the 1HD-FTE stays in when pushed in, but does not have the extra light.

I am not sure of the 1HZ motor, but I think it is still a cable pull.

Thanks uhu,
I will look for more info on your switch, I have found a wiring diagram in Max Ellerys manual for what you are talking about, no pictures, appears to be a momentry contact, not one that latches and stays in. (Can't confirm that though)

Well, it doesn't physically stay in, but stays on until you press again. Don't know if that function is in the switch or in the Viscous Heater Amplifier though. (That the light is controlled by the Viscous Heater Amplifier indicates that it could be the latter.
If it is not to difficult, I could take it out to check it.

Last edited:
I have a clutch start cancel switch in my Toyota Pickup that I believe dose what you are looking for.

Thanks uHu,

No don't take it out, the function will be in the ECU/amplifier.
I really want the push button to stay in, same as the 80 series one.

Pigeon said:
I have a clutch start cancel switch in my Toyota Pickup that I believe dose what you are looking for.

Thanks for the info Pidgeon,

Could you have a look at it for me and see if it stays in when pushed, then comes out when pushed again, also is it the same size/shape as the 100 series switches?
Can you tell me what it does exactly.

100 TD said:
Thanks for the info Pidgeon,

Could you have a look at it for me and see if it stays in when pushed, then comes out when pushed again, also is it the same size/shape as the 100 series switches?
Can you tell me what it does exactly.

Does it have to push in-out... or can it rock on-off ?...

The problem with MANY of those Toyota defogger switches is that they have a timer built in, and shut off after approx 20-30 min of operation..

SINCITY100 said:
The problem with MANY of those Toyota defogger switches is that they have a timer built in, and shut off after approx 20-30 min of operation..
I think most of those switches are basically just momentary switches which send a signal to an ECU, and are controlled by the ECU. Just changing the switch won't work, if that is the case.

firetruck41 said:
I think most of those switches are basically just momentary switches which send a signal to an ECU, and are controlled by the ECU. Just changing the switch won't work, if that is the case.

Yep, I think some defogger systems are ECU/relay controlled independently of the switch while others are controlled by the switch itself..I guess it depends on the vehicle. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom