Builds "Haru the HJ61" - Adventure and Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heres the rust area

E73A257B-0032-4C42-9898-67CA31E762F7.jpeg

Paco,
Your inbox is full and won’t allow new messages.
just following up about the running boards. Pics would be great especially the forward and rear ends.
Thanks!
Jay

fellow mudders,
Issue I want help with please. I asked in a few other areas of this site - thought I'd check here as well.
There's a small area of rust (about 2"x6") on the roof just above the rain gutter (where the roof rack holders were). It's not that bad and I currently have duct tape covering it so no water gets inside the hole (and I really never drive it in the rain!). I spoke to a body shop and they explained they'd have to remove the interior headliner, which means removing everything on the B and C pillars and whole lotta prep and time and money. now I know for sure head liners are extremely flamable so I would never chance any harm to the vehicle (or body shop guy!), but through the rust hole I can feel where there is a secondary hard shell underneath the visible exterior roof. I'm wondering if the repair (welding) can be done without removing all the stuff inside.
anyone have any advice on the matter?
thanks in advance,
Jay

I tried exactly what you are describing. I lit the headliner insulation on fire.

That metal you can feel only goes up a little way. It’s not a full second layer. Sparks from welding easily jump into the headliner padding. Considering you’ve got roof rust starting, I would suggest you partially remove the headliner, have repairs made, and from the inside, vacuum out the channel between the inner support and outer roof skin and apply some form of rust proofing.

Oh man! Thanks for the advice. Sucks though- kinda big job removing all the headliner/adjacent pieces.
👍

Oh man! Thanks for the advice. Sucks though- kinda big job removing all the headliner/adjacent pieces.
👍

It does suck, but it’s not terrible, and it’s good prevention for the long term. You can pop the rear side windows out, deal with any rust on the body under the window seals, and unclip the headliner. You’ll be able to reuse the headliner. You can rip out the headliner padding and replace with a newer product that doesn’t retain moisture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom