1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harsh Bumps

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mattcobb, Mar 28, 2004.

1. mattcobb

mattcobb

My FJ40 had original and pretty beat shocks. Bilsteins don't fit the front so i went with DT3000s. They are nice but the ride is about as harsh on the street as possible. Are there any softer shocks out there that will give me a mellow ride (mellower ride)?

2. scubajohn

scubajohn

the short wheel base of a 40 along with the springs makes for the harsh ride. I don't think shocks are going to help. you might try new springs but till they are broken in its going to be harsh.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    If they are rusted, cleaning up and lubricating the old springs might help. Also, check to be sure the shackles are lubed and swinging. That is probably the biggest issue.

4. Rocky_LC

Rocky_LC

5. haystax

haystax

I read the other thread and just want to add that I had the same problem with my stock '76, almost lost some fillings and I'm sure I compressed my spine a few inches. SOA with stock(flat) springs and a shackle reversal does wonders! I removed the lowest leaf and only gained about 4" of lift so I am running 33's. Along with the power steering, it's like a brand new vehilce. Not as smooth as my ext. cab F-250, but pretty good considering it has a ~100" wheelbase.

This said, anyone have recommendation on super soft long travel shocks to repace my scavenged '02 Superduty rear shocks I am running now?

Thanks

6. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I am pretty happy with the Skyjacker Hydro 7000's. I understand they are similar to Rancho 5000's. Best bet is to call around and talk to someone who specializes in 4x4's like 4Wheel parts, we have one local. They would be able to help you better than a tire store.

7. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    mattcob-

What air pressure are you running in your tires and what size are they?

8. incogrhino

incogrhino

Oh it can get harsher...I thought the 78' was harsh, my new 80' is way harsher.Nothin like catchin air when ya hit a good dip. WEEEEEE.

Are your bushings in good shape?May wanna get some greaseable pins and all that.Thats what I'm goin do.If that don't work,SOA.hehe.

9. RHINO

RHINO

i dont think the shocks are making it harsh, i run DT3000's cause they are very softly valved, everyone who's ridden in my pig refrences a marshmellow.

10. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    rhino-

a 55 has a significantly longer wheelbase which is very helpfull in smoothing out the ride...

Apples and oranges...

Good luck!

-Steve

11. hemiflight

hemiflight

Got the same thing with my 55 on top of stiff
    springs,I could probably take off the shocks and not notice a difference. I agree with these
    guys about it being in the hard parts not the shocks.Mine doesnt seem to smooth out
    till I hit 30 on the logging roads.
    Goodcruising,matt