HARROP/EATON INSTALL and the curse of WYIT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings mud brothers and sisters. Just wanted to give back a little to the community and share my Harrop/Eaton install experience. I've learned a great wealth of info on this site. Lots of very intelligent OCD m'fers on here, which I am grateful for. However, I learned one thing, I might be one of them :doh:

This probably stems from an early age when I was in HS repairing diving regulators at my local dive shop. I was taught by a feared dive tech (Jocko for those who know DNS) to when in doubt, throw it out. Makes sense since I was tinkering with peoples breathing apparatus. What's a 30cent O-ring...

When I got into the motion picture industry. I came in as a camera technician. Also taught by a camera nazi. My supervisor was German that was taught by an Austrian. Btw, he's not a nazi. But you know what I'm getting at. Often times I'd have a movie camera movement apart and would have a million pieces on my workbench. The thought of getting in my truck and never coming back always seemed like a good idea, especially after being berated to death about perfection and WYIT.

...Little did I know this trait of WYIT followed me into my personal life :eek:

Anyhow, enough jibber jab and get on with some pics!

I bought my 97' 80 open with 112K on the clock. With intentions of a mild lift and 35's-37's I knew I'll eventually need gears, and WYIT... get some lockers. So after some friendly banter with eWillis, this black dong showed up on my porch from down under.
IMG_2223_zpstfpthzxx.jpg

IMG_2223_zpstfpthzxx.jpg

I realized it would take me years to master the art of installing gears correctly. I opted to have the professionals do it. With
a plethora of good installers here in Southern California, I had good feelings about ZUK at Gearinstalls in AZ. I mean with the attention to detail it reminded me of my workbench at times. So I had no qualms about sending my 3rd out to another state.
IMG_0349_zpsu81ltlem.jpg

IMG_0339_zpscncxvaye.jpg

Having worked in some pretty f'd up places I realized the importance of getting home. Especially when you got guys like this riding next to you front and back of the convoy.
736342_10200186627770301_899374534_o_zpseejw3xhn.jpg

I knew the importance of proper maintenance. And I plan on returning to some of these places with my 80 for future trips, not for work.

So WYIT this happened...
IMG_3140_zps7rvfpitw.jpg

should have added an extra tube of moly for myself :arghh:

After thinking of all the money I just dropped I just thought of AK dude and was like whateves.. :meh:

Shipped it out to ZUK as soon as I got the 3rds out with the help of Jtwopark and Socallove. Couldn't have done it without them.

Heres a link to ZUKS write up: Toyota gear install
IMG_2998_zpsjnvbhpez.jpg

I wanted to do it right and Ken (aka ZUK) recommend that I freeze them suckers (R&P and bearings) to insure better strength and wear resistance.
So from another vendor I had them drop shipped to Cryo Int in AZ to have them frozen while Ken started the disassembly.
IMG_1165_zpsjmd2bmjy.jpg

IMG_1219_zpsxq3y4drc.jpg

Into the Liquid Nitrogen bath they go. Hey if its a little mo bit of insurance of getting home what's a couple hundo.
IMG_1169_zpshdecyij9.jpg

In the meantime while parts are in route to ZUK, the messy stuff.

jtwopark with his vicegrips
IMG_2909_zpsjsmqxsql.jpg

IMG_2938_zpsep5fjkf8.jpg

IMG_2939_zpscps98i4f.jpg

Being that it was my first knuckle job I had to do this since I have the memory of a feeder fish, plus it might be days or weeks before
I could get back to this mess from work.
IMG_2923_zpsrldntajb.jpg

In hindsight it was pretty easy, just messy as hell which I was mentally prepped for. Thanks to the many threads on knuckle service on mud
made it through with confidence. Front & Rear axle cheat sheet really helped.

SWEET!! :steer:

No more airlines...electromagnet is KING!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom