Harness shield near EGR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious what you guys are using to protect the harness for those of you still running an EGR? Is there a bolt in plate or what wrap do you guys like?

I’m seeing some damage to the harness but it’s on the exterior only. Also, I believe there is plastic clip that should hold the harness tucked away from the EGR pipe that I think I should have. I’ll try to get a pic posted later today.

Just curious what you guys are using to protect the harness for those of you still running an EGR? Is there a bolt in plate or what wrap do you guys like?

I’m seeing some damage to the harness but it’s on the exterior only. Also, I believe there is plastic clip that should hold the harness tucked away from the EGR pipe that I think I should have. I’ll try to get a pic posted later today.
Was just thinking about this. I think i'd like a piece of sheet metal pressed to accept hose clamps or with clamps welded in on the backside. Kinda like below. My thought is it would clamp to harness, not EGR.

In fact i'm surprised nobody sells something like this since this is a pervasive US 80 issue across years.

For now I have heat tape and header wrap hose clamped on and replaced the plastic harness retention clip with bailing wire.

PS- if anyone is selling a new engine harness, please let me know!
Screenshot_20220116-085015.png

Recently went through this while swapping engines. The outer covering of the harness had some heat damage but luckily no wires were affected. I wrapped the affected portion of the harness with this

The plastic housing that supports the harness at the firewall too broken to be used so I left that off and routed the wiring harness as best I could over the engine.

Was just thinking about this. I think i'd like a piece of sheet metal pressed to accept hose clamps or with clamps welded in on the backside. Kinda like below. My thought is it would clamp to harness, not EGR.

In fact i'm surprised nobody sells something like this since this is a pervasive US 80 issue across years.

For now I have heat tape and header wrap hose clamped on and replaced the plastic harness retention clip with bailing wire.

Paging @NLXTACY.

View attachment 2895610
I wouldn’t use this due to it being a great conductor of heat. It won’t protect the harness well at all. I went with the firesleeve from Aircraft Spruce. I got the idea from Overland Cruiser out of AZ, it’s tried and proven: Eaton Aeroquip Fire Sleeves | Aircraft Spruce - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aqfiresleeve.php

I went with the 7/8 ID but on my other cruiser im going with 1” ID
A69D1504-3C53-4E66-BE87-7F7DD0ECEED8.png

Naw. Thermo tech wrap around that area is proven. Adding a metal piece of heat soak isn’t the answer.

New OEM engine harness has that area protected and new harness clip to prevent it happening again.

I have 8 harness because someone fat fingered my order 🙄

3850DD8C-D977-41E4-8C39-7465998298C4.jpeg

Naw. Thermo tech wrap around that area is proven. Adding a metal piece of heat soak isn’t the answer.

New OEM engine harness has that area protected and new harness clip to prevent it happening again.

View attachment 2895671

So effectively the other methods are just work arounds or preventive when the clips for the harness fail? I should just focusing on replacing the clips then?

View attachment 2895671
Not OBD1 though, right? I didnt think they were cross compatible

Previous thread about the clip on the firewall for the main engine harness (FZJ80):

Here's another option to protect the FZJ80 engine harness near the EGR pipe; the split tube with velcro helps to more easily wrap it around that section of the harness. There are other brands (don't know which is good, better, or best).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW/IMHO everyone with a FZJ80 should consider picking up a new 1FZFE engine harness to put on the shelf while they're still available, the originals are all 25+ years old and IME are getting crunchy. Everytime I touch any part of the harness the insulation will crack a bit more, the connectors will break, ---. In a few years that pile of harnesses in the photo above might be unobtainium.

Last edited:
For a long time, I had a DIY thing made of thin aluminum roof flashing - preventing direct contact between the EGR tube, and the OEM (I guess) thermotech wrapped harness. Just got rid of it, after installing the 1" body lift - now there's air space between - no contact.

1inchBodyLift_EngineWireHarness_EGR_NewGap.JPG

i double checked this recently, and discovered the plastic clip still there but not seated on the male metal barb. so the factory heat wrap was touching the EGR pipe.

once i wrestled the clip back on, i now have an air gap; about a pinky's width worth.

should be enough? i've been thinking about over wrapping it w/ one of these products for extra protection. or i have the Hudd EGR kit in my parts pile.

The silver thermo tape is what I used. I had read on here that the 1997s (or just later FJZ80s in general) had an improvement made that kept the harness safer and that appeared to be the case. When I removed the old heat shielding from the harness near the EGR port, I noticed no heat damage to any of the wires. I even went so far as to carefully cut out a short section of the wire closest to the EGR pipe to look at it internally. The shielding and conductors of the individual wire were all perfect. I carefully resliced the wire back in, of course.

My truck had about 240,000 miles on it at the time.

Thermo-Tec 14002 Thermo-Shield Radiant Heat Protection, 1.5" x 15' Roll​

Amazon product ASIN B00029KC2U
This stuff has been in place since 2014 with no problems at all. It is stiff enough and tacky enough to stay put, and pliable enough to be easy enough to put on. I just wrapped it pretty thick (1/2 width overlap or so) and put a zip tie on each end to hold it all in. There's also a spot down there (can't recall whereabouts exactly) where a factory tie is supposed to hold the harness back from the EGR pipe. After you're done wrapping, put a good thick zip tie through that and around your wrapped harness, and you'll get a good finger width gap between the pipe and the wrapped harness. Easy-peasy, 15 minute job and you're done.

This is what I used. Used some stainless zip ties to make sure it stays in place. Heatshield Products "Lava Tube Sleeve"

Amazon product ASIN B01D479FAG

View attachment 2895671
how involved is the disassembly, if one would be inclined to replace the harness? upper and lower intake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom