Hardwood flooring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
I posted this in the home improvement forum. Integrating new hardwood floor with existing But thought some of you guys may be able to help me with my predicament.

I have a dining room that had carpet butting up to hardwoods in two doorways. I measured and it looked like I could start in the doorway to the kitchen and it would line up with the doorway by our front door. Turns out I am off about 1/4 inch. What suggestions would you have to solve my dilemma?

First pic is kitchen doorway
Second pic is doorway by front door
Third and Fourth pics are the gap in question

Kitchen doorway.jpg
Entryway.jpg
Gap 2.jpg
Gap 1.jpg

mill a wider board....

I'm not really equipped to mill a wider board. What do you think about ripping two boards and glueing them together?

That would work.... Try to match wood grain so it does not stick out like a sore thumb.

alternatively, I have enough wood tools to be make a wider board if you want to go that route. I would call lumber liquidators and see if there is wider board that we could mill down to the right width and then mill the tongue in the right spot.

One question. Have you been able to confirm that you are parallel? That the hallway boards are parallel with the kitchen?

I assume it's parallel. The wood floor is continuous from the kitchen through the family room to the front door.

So I can keep moving, I'll see what I can make before I call lumber liquidators. Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it depending on how my glued boards turn out.

I have done hardwood installs, and did similar work in my current home. Typically you start in the middle of a large room or area and work towards one end. When you're done going one direction, you install spline in the grove where you started and run the tongue the other direction. This accounts for expansion that occurs with humidity change. The wood expands in the direction of the tongue, so if you start at one end of a large room and simply work to the other, it could buckle by the baseboard if humidity increases such as in the summer.

In your situation, A simple way to have done it is to measure between your kitchen area and your stair landing and if the math doesn't work out evenly, you could space each course just a little bit, such as 1/32" to make up the difference. That's what we've done on installs.

Another option would have been to start at the stairway. After you lace in you new flooring to the existing, install spline in the groove and run the flooring to the kitchen. When you get to the header at your kitchen, you could rip down a wider plank and lace it in that way.

To fix your current situation, you could rig it to make it work but your eyes will always pick it up. You may have to rip out part of what you have already installed to gap between each course. And after your first run of 80 grit, apply a tub of filler and you'll never notice the gaps.

More than one way to skin a cat. Hope that helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom