Hardtop Visor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

When I pulled my hardtop off for the summer, I found that the piece SOR calls the "hardtop visor" was not attached to the car with any hardware. Regrettably, the rivets connecting it to the top and the bolts connecting it to the windshield had been replaced with silicone that had been spray-painted red by one of the PO's :bang:. Anyhow, after chiseling away all of the silicone and pulling the top off, my visor is no longer connected to anything. On top of that, there appear to be some hand-cut holes to accommodate for the windshield wipers. Perhaps this top is not original to the car?

My 40 is a '67 and it has been getting some body work done before paint, and I was wondering if anybody knew if perhaps this part is not correct for this year. And, if it is correct, would you recommend replacing it? Fixing it? And how would you fix it if you did? Fiberglass? Welding? Just order a new one?

And finally, since the rivets through the roof are now broken, has anyone used anything other than rivets to attach this part? Clearly that didn't work out too well for the PO.:whoops:

Thanks for the help!
SDC11479.JPG
SDC11480.JPG
SDC11481.JPG

The windshield wipers were in different locations from when they were single wipers to when they went to the double wipers with a single motor over the passenger side of the window. The bolt holes from the visor to the windshield frame may also be in a different location. Someone probably put a later model hardtop on your 40 before you got it. You could fix that one and redrill the holes. Or, I would guess, you can find those metal pieces easily on Mud.

When we restore a hardtop, we typically remove that metal piece from the top. That way, we can paint the piece the car color and the top white. They can be attached in a number of ways. One way that we use regularly is to bolt the fiberglass top to the metal flashing with some 8/32 stainless round head screws. The screw head is outside. We put a small rubber washer (available at the hardware store) under the head. Inside, we use a nyloc nut, adjusting the length of the screw so that it just barely protrudes from the nyloc. It is tidy and effective

Don

One way that we use regularly is to bolt the fiberglass top to the metal flashing with some 8/32 stainless round head screws. The screw head is outside.

Thanks for your help. Just wondering if you put the screws through the factory rivet holes in the top or drill new ones?

Looks the a strip out of a 75 - 77 FJ40. Wipers moved to the bottom of the windshield in 75 and then with the 78 model there would be a notch for the windshield washer nozzle. Besides the wipers moving to the bottom in 75 it only used two bolts instead of four to bolt it to the windshield frame. Earlier years used four bolts. From some time in 65 until the end of the 67 model year would be the only perfect match for the 67 model. Earlier than mid 65 had the corrugated top which didn't use a piece like this and then from the 68 model thru the 74 model wipers were on top but with just the single motor.

The metal visor is attached to the fiberglass top from the factory using rivets. I have restored two tops this year and have found that using small carriage bolts in the place of the rivets works wonderfully and looks good as well. I'm having a tough time uploading pics but will get some up as soon as possible. I also need to find my reciept for the size. Cheap effective fix with no brain damage.

Page 6 of my 78 FJ40 restoration will go through how this was handled. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/492295-hoz-78-fj40-restoration-6.html

In, https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ling-81-hardtop-onto-my-74-keeping-hatch.html, post number two has pictures of the one you have and the one that would fit your windshield. The only mod on the older one is that the four small holes were slotted to make for easier removal.

I see two options:
1- modify yours to look like the proper one.
2- try to find a decent older one.

Pm me if you'd like measurements, and I'll see what I can do.:cheers:

I think yours looks fine. Clean it up and you should be good. I sell them with my raingutter kits if you really want a new one, but you would need to cut wiper holes.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Can I drive it?

I'm picking the car up from the painter tomorrow and I haven't finished the visor piece because I haven't had the car for reference and I haven't found adequate reference. I assume it will be fine, but I'm just checking to see if anyone more experienced than myself would know better.

:cheers: and thanks for the help.

Hoz FJ40 CO said:
The metal visor is attached to the fiberglass top from the factory using rivets. I have restored two tops this year and have found that using small carriage bolts in the place of the rivets works wonderfully and looks good as well. I'm having a tough time uploading pics but will get some up as soon as possible. I also need to find my reciept for the size. Cheap effective fix with no brain damage.

Page 6 of my 78 FJ40 restoration will go through how this was handled. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/492295-hoz-78-fj40-restoration-6.html

Where do you find the weatherstripping that fits between the visor and the windshield? I have bought 2 different times but it's always the one that fits on top of the windshield. I want the one that stays attached to the hard top visor.

Where do you find the weatherstripping that fits between the visor and the windshield? I have bought 2 different times but it's always the one that fits on top of the windshield. I want the one that stays attached to the hard top visor.

I have also been looking with no success. I think I will just fab something out of rubber. The shape seems simple enough. Might have to layer it though to make sure its a good seal.

Find the proper visor. It fits better than the older visor. I drill holes on the hard top and used toilet bolts(the ones that attach the toilet to the floor). to hold the visor from it existing holes. Used dremmel with a grinding stone to make a notch on the top to fit the head of the bolt. fix the top and paint.
the bolts are long but easy to cut. a friend gave me a roll of foam to put between the visor and the hard top its about 1" wide and it works great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom