Hardtop Cap- How many QTS primer/paint to cover both sides? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishNinJay

SILVER Star
Threads
Dumbest question ever.. :hmm:

I'm restoring the fiberglass cap on my hardtop.

I want to lay down a layer of fiberglass resin on both sides to seal any hairline cracks. (it's been bare, exposed to So Cal sun for the last several years)

Then, primer both sides, and paint on top. For the bottom, I'm planning on spraying on some Zolatone instead of cementing up a headliner. For the top, I was going to roll/brush on the same Rustoleum line gloss white Rustoleum Marine Topside Fiberglass paint, .. or Elastek which I found here on Mud.

I was going to brush or roller on this Rustoleum Topside primer for fiberglass.
Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 207014 Marine Wood and Fiberglass Primer 1-Quart: Home Improvement
519vRw10YgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

How many quarts should I buy to cover both sides?

I'm assuming about the same quantity of fiberglass resin to cover both sides also.

Ok.. thanks..
:banana:

Are there really any cracks? If not, I would use a decent epoxy primer, followed by a high build/surfacer primer, block it, and then paint it. You could do it affordably using PPG Omni products.

Hmm.. really? I just thought since it's been exposed and outside for a few years, that there might be some cracks. Also, a few areas are a bit rough where you can feel some of the mesh tape from prior owner's repair. So my thinking was to put down a fresh layer of resin to seal any cracks and smooth over any rough spots. Block sand it. Prime. Sand. Paint. If I could skip a step, heck.. that'd be a nice surprise! Doesn't need to be perfect, or OEM Cygnus.. just a nice white. :cool:

I will look into the PPG Omni products. Do I need to consider that this is fiberglass, so does the primer and paint need any kind of flexibility to it? That's why I considered this Rustoleum marine product. Thanks again!!

I will look into the PPG Omni products. Do I need to consider that this is fiberglass, so does the primer and paint need any kind of flexibility to it? That's why I considered this Rustoleum marine product. Thanks again!!

Nope. Fiberglass should be painted the same way you would paint steel. Flex additives are only temporary, in that they allow the paint some flexibility for only a very short window in time. This allows parts like urethane bumpers to be flexed while installing.

If previous fiberglass repairs have been made, you may need to include a few extra steps in there.

More info can be found here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ctory-hardtop-rain-gutter-sealed-factory.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom