Help Wanted Hardline Fabrication Services

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor

I am hiring, full time. I am looking for someone interested in building Land Cruisers. I am more interested in the right attitude more than experience. Looking for someone in their 20s-30s. This is a ground floor opportunity as currently it is just me.

EDIT: I am also looking for someone with experience

Take a look at my web site, if it interests you, shoot me a PM or E-mail

www.hfs4x4.com

HFS4x4@yahoo.com

Stan

Last edited:

Mike Tyrrel

SILVER Star
Ive been all over your website, Got a great place here in Virginia Beach for a relocation on your part for an expansion. Let me know if your interested. Current project is ground up FJ60/12HT. New tranny and gearbox.....basically everything else new/rebuilt.
M

Mike Tyrrel

SILVER Star
I have a space here in Vb, guess it sounds crazy but no Im not say sell everything and relocate. However, lots of business have multiple locations. Me and a few others up here are leaning on starting a LC restoration of sorts here, so I just saw an opportunity to grow and expand an already reputable LC business (yours). Just a thought. I own a couple of business so I get an expansion could really suck. People are quite sensitive about there cruisers so I get the stress part too. Well, Major good luck to you finding a 20-30 year old to help. Thats super funny. When we finish this build Ill swing down and let you have a look at the resume on wheels.
Good luck and have a good one.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor

I have absolutely zero interest in tying my business to anyone else. Your offer/thought is just as "super funny" as me trying to find a young man that wants to work toward a future. Good luck finding a reputable business to which you can tie your wagon.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor

Good help is hard to find, best of luck with your search!
Isn't that the truth! Everyone I know that is searching for help, in all kinds of industry, is having a hard time. My wife lucked out and hired a couple good people within the last year. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard "I'd love to have your job". I guess not.

I am a one man show and have worked hard to stay that way but harsh reality is it is hard to maintain. I have been backed up for several years with no end in sight. I want to be able to move vehicles through the shop at a faster rate.

What I am offering is a chance at being second banana and writing one's own ticket. I am currently working on plans to add another 3-4 bays to the shop as I've grown out of the 2.5 bays I have. Someone that proves themselves and is interested would be the perfect person to take over the shop when I retire, I figure I have another 15 good years left in me :)

Isn't that the truth! Everyone I know that is searching for help, in all kinds of industry, is having a hard time. My wife lucked out and hired a couple good people within the last year. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard "I'd love to have your job". I guess not.

I am a one man show and have worked hard to stay that way but harsh reality is it is hard to maintain. I have been backed up for several years with no end in sight. I want to be able to move vehicles through the shop at a faster rate.

What I am offering is a chance at being second banana and writing one's own ticket. I am currently working on plans to add another 3-4 bays to the shop as I've grown out of the 2.5 bays I have. Someone that proves themselves and is interested would be the perfect person to take over the shop when I retire, I figure I have another 15 good years left in me :)
[/QUOTE]

Really wish I was closer, always wanted to be in vehicle restoration industry, especially now that I understand the land cruiser platform, just never had the opportunity arise near me. Especially not with someone I could “apprentice” under. Best of luck my man.

Stan I wish you luck..everyone in the trade industry is looking for people. It is hard to find even one kid who knows what they want and is willing to dedicate his or her time to learn something of value. I always admire your work and hope you can find someone willing to learn!

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the kind words. I really had no idea until I started looking. "Good luck with that" is what I hear the most.

I spoke to the director of a local college's automotive program and teaches auto body, His words "If you think you are going to get a Millennial to come in your shop and do what you do you are crazy. They come here and refuse to sand, all they want to do is spray paint."

In regard to living closer. The national statistic (could be off a little) of people living within 50 miles of where they grew up is 80%. One guy is interested and a great candidate lives in AZ. Moving away from all he knows is a big issue. I am one of the 20%. Done moving far.

Last edited:
Not much help right now but if you're still looking in a couple years when I'm getting ready to retire from the Air Force, I'd love to head out there for a bit. Possibly sooner if I do Skillbridge (intern type thing).

Otherwise, hoping you find someone in the mean time. Finding quality help in this industry seems to be a difficult thing. Especially when you're building (and want to keep building) top notch rigs like you are.

Best of luck in finding someone. I'm getting ready to retire from the Military after 20 years and I am a mechanic/technician by trade. I preach to my Marines (heck, my own kids) how important having a trade is. I also constantly tell them not to just find a trade, but find that special niche that not everyone knows or can do and you will write your ticket. You are doing that. I have a young guy that is a Toyota kid through that through and this would be perfect for him, but I think he is on the fence on his plans. I will definitely being having a chat with him though. If I was about 10 years younger, I would be all over this, but I worry about how many years I have left of turning wrenches myself and can't keep dragging these kids all over the country. What an amazing opportunity for someone though.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor

Thanks @Cornhusker . I have gained a bit of an education through this (not) hiring process. I really had no idea things had swayed this far from center. What I do is hard, dirty work and we have told kids for four decades that is not the direction to go. All trades and hands on jobs are suffering the same hiring pains due to this.

You are correct that a kid with good hands on skills that can think on his or her feet can write their own ticket. I have a buddy that has been trying to get his garage wired for months. The electrician works alone, he can not find help that is worth a damn either. My wife goes through countless hires just to find one decent employee, she does restaurant upholstery.

You are right about a niche, I manufactured RC helicopter equipment, built custom RC airplanes for five years and made a good living. God I hated retail though.

Top Bottom