Builds Hard Ways - Rigger's 1969 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the engine bay, on passenger side fender, are two wire bundles. One has a cluster of wires that are mainly for lights. The other bundle has just two wires. These two wires are kinda heavy gauge. They end near the passenger side headlight. I can’t figure out what they go to. Any ideas?

A couple of questions, were the ends of the two wires cut or have a crimp connection on the end? How many wires in the other bundle? Other than lights only wiring can think of in the area is the horns. Wish I was around my 68 and 70 to check. As I remember the 68 has the horn on the apron and 70 is mount to the radiator bracket. those draw higher amperage. Horn relay is in the engine bay and not sure why the wire would come from the firewall. If this isn't resolve by next week I can probably check my 68 and 70 should be around them for a few hours.

Black with no stripe? That would indicate they may not be OEM, don't you think? What's the color of the main harness wire(s) the black wires connect too?

Spent some more time in the garage. I still don’t have all my wiring sorted out but I’m postponing that a bit. I put in 2-1/2 gallons of coolant. That’s all I can put in just now. I added another quart of oil so now I’m seeing it on the dipstick. I’m sure I’ll need to add more later.

Removed the running boards and the diamond plate rocker panels. Metal underneath ain’t pretty but it ain’t rusted either. My 15 y/o helped me with the rocker work. Tomorrow we’ll install the 4Plus rocker panel and mini step.

F210E65E-AFEC-4504-8DCB-F46AD56759DD.jpeg
B30DAE60-3BD9-4BFE-BD5E-C0775C7EE379.jpeg

My cowl vent is two thicknesses of aluminum. Not OEM. I’ll be looking for one of these.

D2C64CB2-295C-473C-9A27-DD78F7A5AC22.jpeg
1FC1BCEF-B97A-4539-823F-9FBDB06A46B0.jpeg

8B21B9C8-8903-4DB6-A058-7EBB49FE71AD.jpeg

3D687102-5736-4DB3-BF01-CCB0BCEF8400.jpeg

That pic above is one I grabbed off of Pinterest. I love that rig.

Rigger, Try to find a cowl vent damper plate with a decent OEM gasket if possible. My experience is the aftermarket gasket is quite hard and doesn't give/conform. After discovering it leaked, I re-installed the 46 year old gasket. No more leaks:)

Rigger, Try to find a cowl vent damper plate with a decent OEM gasket if possible. My experience is the aftermarket gasket is quite hard and doesn't give/conform. After discovering it leaked, I re-installed the 46 year old gasket. No more leaks:)

Thanks for this tip. The gasket is available from City Racer. I need the plate. I reached out to a few folks so we’ll see what turns up.

Back in the garage: I had a coolant drip. Tracked it to the plug on the driver side of the block. I hadn’t tightened it enough. D’oh!!

Started in on the master cylinders. Clutch went pretty good. I may have to adjust the length of the push rod. For now seems to be working.

Brake master was another story. Started bleeding the brakes. Had a few leaks. Tightened things up. The two plugs I put in on the bottom of the master cylinder are NOT holding. It keeps leaking when we push the brake pedal. I used Allen head plugs. I need to have machine bolts with copper sealing washers.

As my friend Chris would say, “a total cluster!”

I’ve got brake fluid all over the floor from where I kicked the bottle over. I got leaks. Nothings going right. I got too angry - kinda lost control momentarily. A bad day. Gotta fall back and regroup.

This is supposed to be fun.

1A65B5D9-9FF2-4EC9-8ECE-972A53FBB043.jpeg
3EB58760-33A2-4B08-BEF7-76B06E48E07D.jpeg

The plugs are a fine metric thread. I hope I can locate some short bolts with that thread size and pitch.

My cowl vent is two thicknesses of aluminum. Not OEM. I’ll be looking for one of these.

With today's current pricing that's probably a $100 part.:rolleyes: If none of the people you reached out comes thru let me know. Should have at least one of these around. Gasket is another matter. In Arizona metal holds up better than rubber.

Got my @lcwizard mini steps installed so the day wasn’t a total bust.

B980F98E-F623-4288-8027-BDF86935E6C9.jpeg

The threads in the bottom two ports of my master cylinder are 3/8”-24 fine threads. I rounded up a couple of cap screws and sealing washers and capped em off.

Next week, I’ll finish bleeding the brakes.

Tomorrow is Sunday. I rest on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom