Builds Hard Ways - Rigger's 1969 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oil Pan drain plug washer.
It my be too small for your application. If the oil pan is original and I think it is you need a 25mm ID washer.

More questions:

Fill plug for axles
Drain plug for axles
Fill plug for tranny
Drain plug for tranny
Fill plug for xfer case
Drain plug for xfer case

That's a total of 8 plugs.

Are these basically all the same?

Not the same part numbers but the same diameter. Drains have unitized magnets, fills do not.

Saturday morning, June 10. My project is moving along, but the pace is glacial.

The topic is the steel tabs (tombstones) that we need to mount to the housing. Positioning of these is a challenge. I made my best guess and my best mock-up, and went with it. I don't have the ability to weld, so I had to load up and go over to my cousin's place and he welded them for me. So I hope they work out.

Up front, I'm using the backing plate eliminator, so the brake hose exits the caliper pointed inboard, parallel to the axle shaft. Because of it's fore/aft position, the hose needs to make some tight bends before it lands in the tombstone. I have to say that I like the stock hose routing better. I'm worried about he hose getting kinked. But, I'll stick with the BPE for now, anyway.

In the rear, it's more straightforward because you don't deal with steering.

I'll post pics of my tombstones later.

IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG

I got 10 pieces of poly-armor brake line, and a few bending tools. So, next up is to start plumbing.

1058962_1.jpg
th1Y3BXOSL.jpg

Is it better to use rubber coated brake line clamps? Or bare metal clamps? (Pics robbed from here and there.)

I prefer the rubber coated. Your brake work is looking good
JP

"the hose needs to make some tight bends before it lands in the tombstone."

What about running the brake line to the backside of the tombstone, then bending up some new steel lines for the axle?

Maybe this would reduce the tight bends in the rubber hose.

Just a thought. Looks great!

What PN did you use on your front axle to calipers brake hoses? Also, how long are they? I just ordered 12" ones from Napa and I hope they will be long enough.

Thanks!

NAPA part numbers 38881 (for a long hose) and 38878 (for a short hose). The long hose is 16", and the short is 12".

I took these in to OReillys and they cross referenced to Brake Best parts.

Last edited:
IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG

Top two pics are the 16" hose. Note box with part number.

Bottom pic is 12" hose. Note part number. I'm not gonna use the 12" hose. It's too short.

I think the backing plate eliminator is not a great choice. But, as stated earlier, I'm sticking with it for now.

"Question: How do these types anchor?"

img_9913-jpg.1466899

Kinda late to the party, but my Trailgear brake lines are hexagon also and the tabs are hexagon as well. There is a C-clip that holds it in place on either side.

IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG

Crazy, Im working on the same thing this evening....

Hey, that's slick! Thanks @SMG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom