Hard vs. Soft top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have both. I like the soft top in the summer with the curtains rolled up but the hard top is better for the A/C. I would not bother putting AC in a soft top truck, at least in NC.

If you want to be comfortable, hard top.
If you want to be cool, topless.
Soft top is a compromise for when it rains, but you really want to be topless.

Years and years ago I had a 67 soft top. Loved the vehicle itself but hated how noisy it was especially at anything 40 mph and over. And rain showers, while not frequent, made it clear that a hard top made life simpler. The person who previously owned my new (to me) FJ40 advertised it with both the hard top installed and the hard top off. He kept the front doors attached andt made his own tailgate wooden tailgate. I don't know how he lifted the hard top off, but I assume it was a chain hoist of some type.

Would be interested in knowing more. I know engine swaps, seat changes and seat belts have to be inspected and certified in Australia. If a cruiser is a hard top does that mean you can't remove the top?

No I swop mine fairly regularly and have not had an issue. In theory I have a summer and a winter setup, but because I tend to procrastinate I usually have the hard top on for most of summer, and no top for most of winter. :doh:

The other thing worth mentioning with hardtop is they can be tricky to get on and off. It all depends on your set up, storage, overhead lift, helping hands around the house, etc.

Very true. Fortunately my 2 adult boys live close by and they come and help. Last time it took us a good 5 hours to get everything done, though that included some other work. As I get older it is becoming more of a schlep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom