Hard top visor metal replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 77 visor has rusted beyond an easy patch. Found several threads about same-one MUD member actually used to build replacements for this, but has since stopped(sorry if I can't remember his name) He did say CCOT had replacements for this, so I ordered one. The metal came in 2 parts 'welding required' was the ad. Here's what I got-
I don't mind getting the parts welded - but that's if they FIT. These things were nowhere near identical-they were different lengths, the radius of the corner curve was different on each side - the height of the drip lip was different on each side----plus the things were concave on the underside--they will hold a pool of water just fine.(this may be a design defect in the OEM, so I can't fault this)-but the rest of the issues are clearly subpar quality.(they were already rusting when I opened the box)
Anyone have suggestions on what to do about this? Do you think CCOT will take these back and refund the $?

visor overview.jpg

visor corner.jpg

visor length1.jpg

visor radius-length2.jpg

Visor radius.jpg

this is the very front part of the hardtop drip rail correct?
i used their "kit" years ago to make a complete new drip rail, but never actually got around to putting it on a cruiser.

I recently used ccot ' s full kit I ended up trimming the middle of the visor and kept fitting it to the fiberglass until it was within a 16th of and inch and welded the center and both sides.

Here's a pic if it helps... mine took a good bit of fitting before welding but after body/paint work came out awesome.

1414375441088.jpg

1414375468423.jpg

Your's looks good.
Maybe i'm just nitpicking, but the lengths are not that terrible of an issue, the widths I can grind down, but the radius at the corners being off so much is something I do not know how to fix. With the amount of work I anticipate fixing these, I think it would be easier to make them myself out of some Alum. angle.--I think these are going back.

You know I thought the same thing, but it worked after a few test fits, ccot ended up sending me a few extra rear corners b/c they didn't fit tight enough. Those weird parts in the middle I grinded down until the hood rest pad fit it snugly. I'm picky as well so don't settle if you don't 100% like them, I couldn't find the gutter stuff anywhere else so I made it work. Good luck I'm sure you'll get er done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom