Hard top rain gutter install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hey all. I got a new fiberglass top and metal drip rails for my 40. How should I go about installing?

Thanks for any tips!

Assuming you mean install the gutter to the fiberglass; I used rivets and squeezed them together, then filled the gutter with seam sealer. Not all the way full, basically to the top of the rivets. I have extra rivets and the squeezer I made I’d be willing to loan out if interested. I see you’re in sw WA? I’m heading toward Long Beach later this month.
7CFF8D61-0D6E-4991-AC9D-F37A98D5EFDA.jpeg
3C02E3E2-5280-4C4C-B4F5-77981A3376DC.jpeg
5434A05A-79FA-4B49-9222-E53995056C6B.jpeg
FCC0CC74-3084-4F74-8B43-0AF410DCF361.jpeg

Assuming you mean install the gutter to the fiberglass; I used rivets and squeezed them together, then filled the gutter with seam sealer. Not all the way full, basically to the top of the rivets. I have extra rivets and the squeezer I made I’d be willing to loan out if interested. I see you’re in sw WA? I’m heading toward Long Beach later this month. View attachment 2750617View attachment 2750618View attachment 2750619View attachment 2750621
Thanks. Should I bolt the rails to the steel part of the top first, then if the fiberglass fits nicely inside, weld the gutters together?

Last edited:
I used a gutter and cap that were from different cruisers, and my gutter was mailed in pieces. So I used cleco’s to secure the cap to all the gutter pieces, then fit it to the top sides on the cruiser and put in more clecos and made sharpie alignment marks. Then tack welded the pieces, put the cap back in, put it back on the hardtop sides and made any adjustments. I repeated that part multiple times, then when I was happy with the gutter shape I finished welding it by jumping around tack welding. Then fit the fiberglass cap, then fit to the hardtop sides, etc, etc.
Bolting the gutter to the top sides and welding would be fine I think. I didn’t do that because of a) the fresh paint and b) without the gutter, the top sides move around a bit.

I second the use of cleco’s. I used an air hammer with rivet bit and a bucking bar. Take your time. It helps to have a second hand. My wife got really good with the bucking bar.

FAC792EE-A936-4131-8BAF-ED0E566EAF85.jpeg

F3F1070E-6CFA-4835-ABBB-46DB94C9454C.png

6144954A-D513-4139-AD1B-E19863653F18.png

I primed the gutter rail first, riveted together, seam sealed, then primed all of it, then paint.

I’ll be doing this soon.

Do you put any sealant between the metal gutter and the fiberglass?

I did not seal between the gutter and fiberglass. A few reasons for me were: I figured sealant would goop out the river holes and get all over my clecos; I knew I wouldn’t be able to finish riveting the day I started and didn’t want the sealant to cure uncompressed.
it also didn’t seem like there was sealant from the factory.

I used a rattle can self etching primer from Eastwood. After sandblasting I used a Pre Painting prep (rattle can) then the primer. They also have a good epoxy primer.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom