Hard top questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to know a couple things.

My truck is a hodge podge of multiple year 40s. The body is either a 63 or a 68 is there a difference in the Hard tops that fit these years of trucks?

What other years will fit with minimal work?

I need to know a couple things.

My truck is a hodge podge of multiple year 40s. The body is either a 63 or a 68 is there a difference in the Hard tops that fit these years of trucks?

What other years will fit with minimal work?

your first step is to determine what year you have, but EVERY top fits different because they flex and bend. If you look and are patient you can find one that is the same year as your tub.

To my knowledge all 40s tops are SUPPOSED to be the same dimensions, but I am still on my first 40....some guys with experience will chime in....good luck.

your first step is to determine what year you have, but EVERY top fits different because they flex and bend. If you look and are patient you can find one that is the same year as your tub.

To my knowledge all 40s tops are SUPPOSED to be the same dimensions, but I am still on my first 40....some guys with experience will chime in....good luck.

That was the second part of the question that I forgot, what is the easiest way to determine tub year?

Different tops in early than later years. 63 early top. 68 later top. Instead of playing fifty questions just post pictures of what you have and someone can tell what you have and what you need.

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

What else you need?

All tops 74 and older have the cut for the upper windshield wipers and the later does not. That being said, I modified a 78 top to fit on a 74 body:meh:

Looks like a 67 except for one thing no heater. Are you really in Cuba or maybe the cruiser is from Cuba. Could be a 68 from another country other than a North American. A hard top from 66 thru 74 should just bolt on.

Looks like a 67 except for one thing no heater. Are you really in Cuba or maybe the cruiser is from Cuba. Could be a 68 from another country other than a North American. A hard top from 66 thru 74 should just bolt on.

I guess I need to change it I guess, I'm in Cuba....Cuba, MO an hour west of STL on I44.

There was a rear heater the PO removed it for some reason. It's definitely a North American truck. Sorry to confuse everyone.

The tailgate is off, and it is rusted badly. As in I won't be reusing it again. There are two "holes" in the rear sill for ambi style doors. I assume, for the ambi half doors. I'm not a fan of "hatches" so if I could change over to rear full ambi doors that would be awesome.

Looking at the pictures again it could be a late 65 if the wipers have been changed to a later style. Non heater, long running boards would be 65. I think other things then just the rollbar has been changed from what came on it from factory. Late 65 (no vent in the bottom of the windshield) thru 74 hard top should fit.

My 40 is an LV Asia model. The frame number indicates a 1978 but to look at it the tub and rear swing gates look 74. Mine to is a Hodge Podge of years. My hood is a split type from a 71 my hard top is from a 81 with the small vent widows. I had a time installing it on my tub because the po obviously moved the front header bar forrrward 1" or my tub has been modified.With work I finally got it to fit but still in process. My engine is a 79 2F with stock carb and a 3 speed original tranny. I was told non us 40's continued using 3 speeds on the floor after 74. I may very well be wrong but I think the tops with the small vent windows are a little different where as I think the top on my 1971 40 would have set right on there. The main thing I found was a door closing issue with my top. I hope that you find one with less hassle than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom