Hard top or soft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LGS

Threads
Just bought a 1973 fj40 for a restoration and resale. The hard top is in poor condition , does it make sense to restore the hard top, install a ragtop, or do both as far as resale values???? The car is in Rhode Island. Thanks

How bad is the top ? As far as resale, both is a good thing. I have never had a softop but really like them.

Had both. I say either hardtop or bikini top only. Soft tops not much fun in my opinion.

If it came with a hard top, keeping it on there will help with resale. If the truck is a factory soft top truck, then it should likely be returned to a soft top configuration.

I bought mine with a hardtop and within 6 months took the top off and haven't put it back on for 4-5 years now.
Am considering buying a soft top, but just never drive in the rain (and I live just outside Seattle), and would probably never use it.

But, buying one without a top, I would have expected the price to reflect buying one somewhere else.

If you're thinking you're gonna restore a vehicle to be worth more than $10K, any soft top better FIT. Any buyer takes it out on a test drive and gets it going over 40 is going to notice the flapping sound. It is just a part of the land cruiser experience, but not the part of it that I think well healed buyers of well restored vehicles are always looking for.

If it has the hard top, and they want it open to the sky, the hardtop is removable. Having to remove 20+ bolts (hopefully not all rusty and on the verge of snapping after you've restored it) and lift a very awkward 300 pounds is something they'll figure out on their own later.

So, ya, restore the hard top. And it helps separate it from looking like a jeep.

I'd restore the hard top if it is original.

Having just bought a 73, I can tell you I only looked at ones that had the hardtop. So much more expensive to get a replacement hard top than adding a soft top. I did get an added bonus with an included bikini top, but hard top was a must. If you have both with the sale, you'll make more $$$.

Fix the hardtop or put on a bikini top. I feel like putting a softtop on isn't going to get you much in terms of a return on investment.

I bought mine with a hardtop and within 6 months took the top off and haven't put it back on for 4-5 years now.
Am considering buying a soft top, but just never drive in the rain (and I live just outside Seattle), and would probably never use it.

But, buying one without a top, I would have expected the price to reflect buying one somewhere else.

If you're thinking you're gonna restore a vehicle to be worth more than $10K, any soft top better FIT. Any buyer takes it out on a test drive and gets it going over 40 is going to notice the flapping sound. It is just a part of the land cruiser experience, but not the part of it that I think well healed buyers of well restored vehicles are always looking for.

If it has the hard top, and they want it open to the sky, the hardtop is removable. Having to remove 20+ bolts (hopefully not all rusty and on the verge of snapping after you've restored it) and lift a very awkward 300 pounds is something they'll figure out on their own later.

So, ya, restore the hard top. And it helps separate it from looking like a jeep.

Because you said hard top sets it apart from a jeep guessing you weren't running an OEM style soft top. 40 MPH even a hard top gets noisy. While not as easy to remove as common style jeep top modified to work on an FJ40 that fold down top one person can remove it by themselves. Certainly more stout with factory bows verses the aluminum bows used on aftermarket tops.

Do you have the bows for the soft top?

If you choose to go with a soft top, my recommendation:

For resale, having all 3, the hard top, soft top and bikini top won't hurt.

In my experiance everyone who has a hard top wants a soft top, everyone who has a soft top wants a hard top.

Ideal world you would have both with a jig to lift the top off and on when you wanted too.

I have a hard top but would love a soft top for 4 wheel driving. But most of the time hard top is more practical.

As many others have said, if you are doing it for resale value, stick with that originally came on the truck.

As far as preference, I have a soft top. I love it. It’s not secure, it leaks, and makes a ton of noise.... but being able to “roll” my windows up and have it open is worth it all.

If I did it again, I’d probably stick with the soft top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom