Hard Top Metal Visor Trim Piece Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm new to the FJ community. Our 1970 FJ40 came with the hard top and panels off of the vehicle. I have pieced everything together (without weather-stripping) to check for fitment before sending off to paint. However, I have a question about the metal trim piece that appears to go on the front of the hard top. Mine appears at one time to have been riveted to the fiberglass top, but came unattached. I sure would appreciate some help figuring out how this is supposed to attach to the hard top and how it then attaches to the top of the window frame. I have ordered the FSM but have not received it yet.

Thank you to this great forum for all of the help thus far.

Hard Top Visor Rivet.jpg

Hard Top Visor.1.jpg

Hard Top Visor.2.jpg

It was riveted to the fiberglass. It bolts to the windshield.
Thanks. I know that this is probably a really dumb question, but how does one go about accessing the bolts, from the inside or the outside? ( I have just the hardtop loosely attached to the vehicle temporarily before it goes off for paint, I plan to have the visor riveted back to the hardtop)

Lip goes on the outside of the windshield frame.

I would be sure it matches your windshield. Was two or four bolt. Wipers on two two different styles and one the wipers were on the bottom of the windshield. Also later ones had a windshield washer nozzle in the top of the windshield that these piece is notched for. Personally which a lot of extra work would assemble the top on the cruiser and be sure it all lines up before riveting this piece to the canvas.

Last edited:
I’d second what LITP said about doing the rivets on the truck. The ones on my 72 are not actual rivets but bolts that allowed us a little more adjustment(which was needed).

View attachment 2681598
Our hardtop is due to be released by the painter any day (hopefully). The visor is separated from the hardtop currently. Moreover, the painter filled all of the old rivet holes that would have helped align the visor. I'm worried about trying to properly position and attach the visor to the underside of the hardtop before setting the hardtop in place. Was wondering if it is perhaps better to attach the visor to the windshield frame, then set the hardtop, and try and bolt the visor to the hardtop in place, if that is even possible. (I'm not sure there is enough room to get access to the underside of the visor once it is in position.) I'd appreciate all suggestions. Thanks.

Our hardtop is due to be released by the painter any day (hopefully). The visor is separated from the hardtop currently. Moreover, the painter filled all of the old rivet holes that would have helped align the visor. I'm worried about trying to properly position and attach the visor to the underside of the hardtop before setting the hardtop in place. Was wondering if it is perhaps better to attach the visor to the windshield frame, then set the hardtop, and try and bolt the visor to the hardtop in place, if that is even possible. (I'm not sure there is enough room to get access to the underside of the visor once it is in position.) I'd appreciate all suggestions. Thanks.
Sounds like you are on the right track, you could get everything but the fiberglass top installed, bolt the cap the the windshield and then get as many bolts as possible into the glass top and see if you’ve got the room (probably not). At least you could probably get a sharpy up there to mark the holes and then drill the glass top on stands.

Sounds like you are on the right track, you could get everything but the fiberglass top installed, bolt the cap the the windshield and then get as many bolts as possible into the glass top and see if you’ve got the room (probably not). At least you could probably get a sharpy up there to mark the holes and then drill the glass top on stands.
Thanks!

Mark

The odds of getting proper figment over the doors with any deviation from factory specs are poor. Virtually everyone finds after repaint and reassembly that the windshield and front doors do not track parallel. And if the windshield is not parallel to the doors, installing the front visor piece as it sits will literally seal that fate.

what you need are the exact measurements from the leading edge of an installed set of door header pieces of the hardtop (that seal the tops of the doors) to the visor. If I had a roof panel, I would gladly get you those measurements.

Mark

The odds of getting proper figment over the doors with any deviation from factory specs are poor. Virtually everyone finds after repaint and reassembly that the windshield and front doors do not track parallel. And if the windshield is not parallel to the doors, installing the front visor piece as it sits will literally seal that fate.

what you need are the exact measurements from the leading edge of an installed set of door header pieces of the hardtop (that seal the tops of the doors) to the visor. If I had a roof panel, I would gladly get you those measurements.
Thanks, Mark. It is sounding more and more like the roof will be a daunting task. But, hopefully, getting the top securely and properly fitted will be one of the last for a while. We are looking forward to driving and enjoying the Land Cruiser, for a change. BTW: All of the many parts and pieces that you sent are all proudly mounted and functioning to perfection. Thank you for all of your wisdom and support.

Thanks, Mark. It is sounding more and more like the roof will be a daunting task. But, hopefully, getting the top securely and properly fitted will be one of the last for a while. We are looking forward to driving and enjoying the Land Cruiser, for a change. BTW: All of the many parts and pieces that you sent are all proudly mounted and functioning to perfection. Thank you for all of your wisdom and support.
Photos showing windshield/door alignment so far with the door headers installed awaiting hardtop.

Fitment.1.jpg

Fitment.2.jpg

Fitment.3.jpg

Haha! Your windshield is close to where it should be, and that is most likely because you don’t have the weatherstripping in place that seals it to the cowl yet. Be prepared for a shocking difference when you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom