Hard top gutter, paint first? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My fiberglass top is primed. The gutter is primed. Should I paint both then assemble? OR, paint after, like the factory? OR, paint before and after to cover the gutter sealant? I was going to use a white sealant that is similar in color to the paint. I'm good with a caulk gun and make a neat job.

I’d rivet them back together, seam sealer in the gutter, then paint as an assembly.

I'd prime and seal the gutter before attaching it to the roof. Then paint the assembly.

I don't think painting the gutter first gains you anything, but I don't think it'll hurt anything either

My thought is that the reason the gutter was a rusty mess is that the factory never painted the inside. I am using single phase paint, not clear coat. IT will provide more rust protection than just primer. So.... maybe when I am 100 years dead it will have less rust? : )

I'm shopping clecos , any ones to avoid on amazon?

I have a ton of these: Allstar Performance ALL18223 1/8"... Amazon product ASIN B003BZQ6SQ
They work fine. I’ve used real (older) clecos and they were a little smoother but they were also in a fab shop and had been used for decades so who knows.

Edit: these clecos are slightly larger than the factory rivet I believe. I drilled all mine out and used a slightly larger rivet but can’t remember if I used 1/8” or 5/32” (leaning toward I used 5/32”).

The holes in my top and gutter are about 0.136". My rivets are 0.125". I got tiny stainless washers for the rivets, just like factory. I think that the 1/8 clecos will work in those holes, hopefully.

Oh my. I just checked the washers are a couple of thousands smaller that the rivet shanks. I made a tool to push them on but it is an additional step. Nothing goes smoothly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom