Hard top clamps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since all my tiny hard top screws are toast I was thinking about just clamping the hard top on. I was thinking about using something that looks like the clamps that hold the top of the air filter on (except a lot stronger).

Any idea what these types of clamps are called and where would I find something that might work?

Thanks

How about the clamps they use to hold caps on pickups?
Pretty much the same thing.

i use small c clamps on mine 4 per side has worked for over 20 years good luck

Maybe it's just me but that's hokey. Get a tap and a drill and some new bolts.

X whatever.....

I ground off all the captured nuts and welded on new ones, but that was with the rain gutter off the truck and separated from the cap. Do like Fast Eddy sez and just tap out to the next metric or SAE size. Screw clamps. No offense Shelfboy:eek:

I tried clamps but at about 89mph, my top started to lift a bit;) :cool:

Ed

X3 Drill and tap.

89mph who was towing you? mine would do it down hill with a couple of j-rad rockets maybe

89mph who was towing you? mine would do it down hill with a couple of j-rad rockets maybe

I was in Full Afterburner, rush hour, you know;)

Is your MC installed yet?:flipoff2:

Ed

put it on today,made my brake rod 2inches longer but i made it alittle to fat so ill have to make another one.the mount worked great thanks again,but those bolt were a pain to get to lol

Since all my tiny hard top screws are toast I was thinking about just clamping the hard top on.

Are you referring to the bolts that mount the top to the vehicle - frame rail? Or the bolts that join the fiberglass top to the sides? On my frame rail bolts I had some success with drilling a small hole in the center and then using an "easy out" extractor from Sears. When you replace the bolts, use anti-seize on the threads so you don't run into this again in the future.

clamps work for me no lift at 65 easy to take off didnt come off when i was hit head on at 45mph and rolled. ripped the front axle loose,broke tranny off the bell housing but the top stayed on. however i dont do this on the wifes 40 or the kids after 36 years of taking them stinking bolts out i got tired of it . i would say listen to these guys their good

sorry guys i should learn to read i used the clamps to hold the sides to the body not sides to top still could be hokey.

Thanks for the advice about not doing it. However, my question was not "should I use clamps?" IMO, the size of the stock screws is "hokey". I want to be able to drive to a trail with the top on and sleep under it at night. Spending an hour or so removing screws and then another hour when I am tired and want to get home... you get the idea.

Come on guys, no one has a source for clamps?
I was thinking something like these:
http://www.southco.com/product/class.aspx?cid=7418

Anyone?

Thanks for the advice about not doing it. However, my question was not "should I use clamps?" IMO, the size of the stock screws is "hokey". I want to be able to drive to a trail with the top on and sleep under it at night. Spending an hour or so removing screws and then another hour when I am tired and want to get home... you get the idea.

Come on guys, no one has a source for clamps?
I was thinking something like these:
http://www.southco.com/product/class.aspx?cid=7418

Anyone?
I guess I don't understand. You want to wheel with the top on....................then take it off and use it as a tent?:confused: Seems like a lot of work. Easier to remove the passenger seat and sleep in the truck. Or just take a tent.
Still cornfused.

Ed

I'm not here to argue about why I want to make taking the top on and off easier. What does it matter?
Do you have a source for clamps/latches or not?
Forget about what I need them for.

Forget about what I need them for.

OK:)

Then use the Southco latches you've already found, or use the C-clamps like ShelfBoy.........If you want to, that is. I'm not here to argue either.:cheers:

Ed

since its in storage i cant photo it but my 45 pickup has a clamp on hardtop from the factory. maybey marks off road or the spector catalog can help give you some ideas good luck

try McMaster-Carr. The have something called "tension & draw latches" available in several styles and lengths. They look like the air cleaner clamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom