Hard top cap fiberglass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So one of the POs painted the fiberglass on the under side of the hard top cap. I started to sand the paint off but it seems like it’s gonna be a pretty painful process. Part of the fiberglass had some damage that I wanted to repair. My question is do you think the black paint needs to come off before I repair the damaged spot and put a headliner back on. Thanks for you input.

4700BCF1-27AA-4864-817E-4EFDA3ED62AD.jpeg

3C34B6D1-6214-4881-A110-D49AD2F6C352.jpeg

Yes. I have a headliner ready to go in. There is the one spot that seems like a gouge in the fiberglass. Repair the gouge and then just glue the headliner on?

So one of the POs painted the fiberglass on the under side of the hard top cap. I started to sand the paint off but it seems like it’s gonna be a pretty painful process. Part of the fiberglass had some damage that I wanted to repair. My question is do you think the black paint needs to come off before I repair the damaged spot and put a headliner back on. Thanks for you input.

View attachment 2489933

View attachment 2489934
To get a good bond, the paint will have to come off where the damage is.

You might end up doing more damage by trying to get all the paint off. Good luck with the headliner - it's a cow of a job. If patience is not your strong point get it done professionally. Wish I did.

The spot seems fairly small. I would level it with a good body filler and then install the liner. But then again I'm cheap.:hillbilly:

If it's a small spot you could fill with some JB Weld fiberglass repair. That's what I ended up doing on mine and it turned out just fine. Two-part stuff. Grinding out the paint does sound incredibly tedious and likely unnessary; the headliner should stick no problem with the 3M headliner adhesive as long as the surface is cleaned. Would recommend having 3 people for the headliner; I had 2 and could have used another set of hands. But it turned out about as good as that 40 that sold for $100k so... At least that's what I tell myself.

Thanks for the input everyone! Think I’ll leave the paint on, address the gouge (it’s about 5” wide) and get the headliner on. Getting cold here though so may have to wait a while to glue it on.

One thing I didn't do was use enough adhesive spray. I think I had just one bottle of the 3M spray, and ended up with some small areas clearly not attached- disappointing after all the effort to clean and restore the cap and rail.
My 2 Cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom