Hard to find a clean 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Of course I was just joking around.. I would buy a 91-92 in a heartbeat as a second truck :)

I'm hip!

With the price of mods and gas, I'm just glad I'm in a town that is very walker/bicyclist friendly and has good public trans.

They say live where you play and drive to where you work. I'm thinking live where you play and walk to where you work or vice versa. Geographical selection is VERY critical in that case.

Save the LC for the big stuff. :steer:

It is tough to find a good one. I have been looking for a little while now and had a change of heart a few times also between the 40, 60 and now 80. I finally found one after looking at quite a few trucks. I saw all the garbage that people were selling and the good pictures people used and wondered if it was even the same truck. I was patient and knew what i was looking for and would not settle for anything short of what my criteria was. Found an LX470 and picked it up yesterday. It was a risk as I picked it up in another state but the sellers were very easy going and i asked them to take it to the local Lexus station and had them do a full vehicle check which i flipped the bill for of course. At the very least, i would be out $100 for an inspection as opposed to a few thousand + if it was a lemon. Things checked out and it was a done deal. Drove it home yesterday and I love it. My wife even drove it and she fell in love with it and she has a 2007 FJ Cruiser which she calls her "boyfriend". She liked this thing more then her FJ. Crazy.

Just don't rush and dont settle. Figure out what you want and what is important to you and keep looking until you find it. It will come around. Good Luck!!

I know of a real clean one...

I work with a lady who is going to be selling her 97, no lockers, but no offroading either. It was here daily driver until last week... 154,000 I think... Dark Blue. In Arvada, Golden Colorado...

Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you in touch.

Darren

I've been toying with the idea of a stock 80 series as a DD. Mostly I've been looking at 96-97's. I had a 2000 4Runner that I sold about a year ago and it was completely clean. I figure a 97 is 3 years older and that perhaps I could find one that is just a little bit worse for wear than my 00 4runner.

Not the case. I've probably looked at 6 different 96-97's in the in the 8k range and they have all been absolute POS!! Have other people noticed when LC80 shopping that they have found a real hard time getting a clean one? The rigs I have been looking at have been female owned mall cruisers and they are beat to ****, it doesn't make sense. BTW, photos are deceiving, I've looked at high res pictures and the rig seems super clean, in person it's all jacked up.

8k seems like more than a reasonable budget for a clean 150k-ish miles stock LC80 doesn't it?

I feel your pain... I am looking for a similar one in TX. Still waiting for the right one with a clean title and no engine problems. They seem to be abused and neglected around here. Definitely not easy to find one. Unfortunately for me, I am unable to travel too far due to work so it is likely I will have to wait quite a long time to find a good one locally. Good luck!

I bought mine last month. It is a high mileage (230k) 1997 Collecters Edition that was a garage :princess: that was meticulously maintained. After the purchase I found out from a coworker how well it was taken care of. It has factory lockers and is in great condition. I searched for several months and passed up many that had less miles but were in need of serious work. Just keep searching and don't dismiss one because of the mileage. Mine had already had all fluids and belts replaced just before I bought it. Keep looking and good luck.

Ops.

Last edited:
Its hit or miss, i was looking for one for months here in MI and couldnt find anything, Then one night at 2am i couldnt sleep and went on here found my 80 thats sitting in my driveway 125k lockers no rust no leaks 7500$. Just be patient thats the main thing!

x infinity. Sometimes it does take time to find the rig which fits your needs. I was set on getting a 95-97 with lockers, then this really clean 150k mile unlocked 80 with the TRD Supercharger came up on Craigslist. $6500. I drove an hour away and bought it there and then. ARB's and other goodies soon followed, further emptying my wallet.

:cheers: and keep looking, one will definitely find her way into your driveway.

Steve

Looked for months and finally decided on a 200k, meticulously maintained unlocked LC, over a 150k locked with lots of issues. I am very pleased and glad I waited out for the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom