Hard to believe, but this is the only thread about Liqui Moly Gear additive! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I have searched out both 100 and 200 forums ... wait I forgot to search the 80 threads (too late now). I can not find any info on the Liqui Moly MoS2 Anit Friction Gear additive for our differentials and transfer cases. Recently rebuilt my T Case with new Low Range gears as well as the 10% underdrive for the High Range ... all new bearings, races, gears, seals ... every single part in there. Did the front and rear diffs at the same time, new gears, seals, races, bearings etc with lockers. I had all the gears, bearings, races etc cryogenically treated and REM treated as well ... all is super quite. I am going to swap out my gear oil and transfer case oil ... allegedly it is not needed after doing Cryo and REM but I am old school and I am going to swap it out anyways. I saw a couple of YouTube videos about Liqui Moly gear additive and seemed like the thing to do just for that one extra step ... but can't find anyone who has actually used the stuff. You know how it is ... can't trust everything you see on the interwebs. What say the experts? How much do I add for each??? That is something completely missing from the internet. I have used the product before in a BMW boxer engine (motorbike) as an oil additive and loved it. Never tried the gear additive. Thoughts? If nothing ... I am going to do ahead with this adventure and report back ... temperature readings before / after and MPGs and perceived noise when cold (I can barely hear the trans case when it's cold with those new gears).

if you are going "old school" and are going to change your fluids on a routine schedule why does it even matter? not a smart a** question, legitimately asking. its not like these trucks are known for blowing through axles and gear boxes as long as you at least try and change the oil every now and again. i guess the other side of the argument is that you just dumped a metric kcuf ton of money into those items and whats a few more dollars to pamper them lol. personal preference i guess. i have a marlin transmission, transfer case, yukon gears and eaton/detroit lockers in my 4runner build and i just use a quality dino oil and make sure i change it on a good schedule.

@asu4runner that's a good point ... I think it is just as you said. I do plan on 30K changes regardless. But, maybe it is just that I want to "maximize" or "protect" the rather painful investment I have made into this old truck. I really can not tell if this is snake oil stuff or legitimate ... I have a very slight wine in the t case after the rebuild when it is cold. About a thousand miles on everything so far. Likely I will spend forty bucks in additives after the hundred and forty in gear oil and not notice a single thing. I think the full synthetic gear oils are already on top of their game so it will be interesting to see if I notice a reduction in the t-case noise. The diffs are likely not going to change but I might as well while I am at it. That money would be better spent relocating all my breathers I know ... next project. With my luck, I'll get water contamination (jk). I don't usually run additives, but I kind a wanna try it.

@asu4runner that's a good point ... I think it is just as you said. I do plan on 30K changes regardless. But, maybe it is just that I want to "maximize" or "protect" the rather painful investment I have made into this old truck. I really can not tell if this is snake oil stuff or legitimate ... I have a very slight wine in the t case after the rebuild when it is cold. About a thousand miles on everything so far. Likely I will spend forty bucks in additives after the hundred and forty in gear oil and not notice a single thing. I think the full synthetic gear oils are already on top of their game so it will be interesting to see if I notice a reduction in the t-case noise. The diffs are likely not going to change but I might as well while I am at it. That money would be better spent relocating all my breathers I know ... next project. With my luck, I'll get water contamination (jk). I don't usually run additives, but I kind a wanna try it.
for what its worth, i buy alot of 3rd members from east coast gear supply, and they say that synth gear oil is a full waste of money as long as you are changing it routinely. i run straight dino in everything,

Any update you can provide with the Liqui Moly lubricant? I’m scheduled to do my TCase pulldown early next year as it has started to leak and while at it I will be doing a 10% under drive gear set swap in preparation for the 35s I’m gonna put in. And one of my concerns is the potential noise or whirring sound it may produce.

Yes, here is the update. Regardless of temperature or speed. I cannot hear any audible wine from my transfer case whatsoever. I do have the 3.1 low range gearset as well as the 10% high range reduction set. I do not know if this is because I cryogenically treated all of the internals and did a REM coating / treatment or if it was the Liquid Molly or a combination of both. After the break-in. I changed the fluids and the differentials and the transfer case, re-introduced the liquid Molly additive, and I cannot hear anything. I have moderately aggressive 35 inch tires, but they are extremely quiet, even more so than my previous BFGoodrich KO2 that were standard size. So I couldn’t tell you, why it’s so quiet, it’s probably a combination of everything as well as the precision installation. I know that getting those transfer case gears from Kurt is important, because there’s another manufacturer of those gears who will remain unnamed … I would imagine the quality is not as good.

How much of the additive did you use in the transfer case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom