1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard time getting the oil pan off

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Herky, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Herky

Herky

My manual doesn't go into very much detail about removing the oilpan. The only thing I've found refers to it with the engine out :mad: I've removed all of the small screws/bolts, around 25 or so. I don't see any other obvious bolts. There are a couple that it could be but I'm not sure. Anyone have any info?

On a side note, should I consider replacing the oil pump while I'm in there?

Thanks

2. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Take ALL the bolts out from the oil pan perimeter then whack it with a rubber mallet to see if it will come loose. That's how I got mine off.

3. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

The pan is probably stuck on pretty good after all this time. You probably have all the bolts out. One method to removing a stuck oil pan is to place the OEM jack between the frame and the pan so the jack is pushing against the side of the pan. Apply enough pressure so the jack will stay there by itself, then give it another half turn or so. While the jack applies pressure try and wedge a screwdriver or chisel into the gasket between the block and the pan. You might need to hammer it in to get the gasket to split. Once it starts the pan should pretty much fall out; so try not to be under it while you're doing this. :D

I would not mess with the oil pump...if it needs replaced then most likely the motor needs more work than just an oil pump.

HTH,
    Nick

4. Herky

Herky

Thanks for the info. I figured it just needed some coaxing, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any other bolts. I'll give it a try later. I''ve got to get some studying done.

5. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

The jack method works great-don't pry anything, you'll just screw up the pan. A small hydraulic jack works best, put the base on the frame and the head on a 2 X 4 piece on the oil pan. Apply pressure, wait, apply more pressure, go eat lunch. It will pop off undamaged. I think there are 22 bolts, so if you have them its just the cork sticking to the metal. Make sure you clean the surfaces really well before putting the new gasket in place. You will be one dirty dude when this job is finished.

6. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I used a torch to heat up the gasket that is giving you the problem and then worked it off.