Hard steering after power steering flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today, I replaced a cracked power steering pump return line. Next, I flushed the system and a lot of nasty crap came out.
After I reconnected the return line, I added ATF fluid and cranked my wheels left and right to bleed it.

When I lowered it to the ground, I could not turn the wheels.

I lifted wheels back up and did the wheel turning again, and then took it for a drive.

It is still hard to turn.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what could be the problem?

It was working fine before.

thanks guys...

Hopefully you did the bleeding with the engine off.... let it sit overnight, then in the morning take the return line off again, and turn the wheel back and forth to make sure there isn't any air in the line (with front end off the ground and engine not running).

I finally got all the air out, now it turns like it should.

thanks for all your help guys..

I've got the same issue.

After rebuilding pump and replacing low pressure hoses. While on jack stands, I flushed the system with the engine off, flushed over 1/2 gallon of DTE24 oil through.

After that, with the wheels up, and the resi already topped off, I did the FSM bleed procedure.

I'm trying to recall if I heard the pump straining at lock.....I feel Iike I didn't hear it, but might be wrong, but I did see tiny bubbles in the reservoir with the engine running.

Lowered wheels to ground to go for test drive and zero power steering. WUT?!

Will let it sit overnight, then lift wheels again and re bleed....and or flush again.

I've got the same issue.

After rebuilding pump and replacing low pressure hoses. While on jack stands, I flushed the system with the engine off, flushed over 1/2 gallon of DTE24 oil through.

After that, with the wheels up, and the resi already topped off, I did the FSM bleed procedure.

I'm trying to recall if I heard the pump straining at lock.....I feel Iike I didn't hear it, but might be wrong, but I did see tiny bubbles in the reservoir with the engine running.

Lowered wheels to ground to go for test drive and zero power steering. WUT?!

Will let it sit overnight, then lift wheels again and re bleed....and or flush again.
I had to lift wheels off ground and turn wheels lock to lock several times to get the air out with engine off. Now it turns great

Woof. I rebuilt the pump in my brain this morning, then compared the steps in the FSM and came up with an anomaly. I think I put the flow control valve in first, then the spring....d’oh!!
image.jpg

Yup. That was it. Was able to reverse that without pulling the pump. Now purring like a kitten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom